Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbrush alternatives?

brasher
04-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Hi,

I have a pretty silly question to ask, but hopefully one that can be answered easily enough.

After starting a few models, I have realised that I've spent quite an amount of money on Tamiya Spray can, both Plastic Primer and paint.

After doing a bit of research on Aircompressors and airbrushes, I have realised two things, 1) Things can be very expensive and 2) Air Compressors are very large units.

With these 2 points, I looked for an alternative and found this in the hardware catalogue.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/Wagner/product.do?productCode=Power_Sprayer_1300_1

I can get this for $79 Australian Dollars

Has anyone ever used one of these for modelling before, and would it be useful?

Or am I better off going for the compressor and Airbrush combo?

Your input is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris.

ales
04-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Chris,

The spray system you've shown doens't look suitable for build ing models at all. Doens't have the control, the pattern, the predictability of an airbrush and looks to require ungodly amounts of paint to function.

As for your concerns, airbrushes don't have to be extremely expensive and compressors are not necessarily large units. Of course you can use cans of compressed air, but that's not particularly efficient form a financial point of view. Do some reasearch, you may just be able to find a solution suitable for your needs and requirements.

brasher
04-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Thanks for your help.

I will go to the local Auto Store on the weekend and check out their compressors, what sort of power would I be looking at?

And what are some good airbrushes, for those on a budget.

Thanks,
Chris.

freakray
04-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Great spray system if you're going to paint your house.

cfcrules
04-04-2006, 07:37 AM
If your looking for an alternative, you used to be able to get spray cans that you refill with a bike pump and just put paint in to it I'll have a look and if I find it I'll post it.

winstona
04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
You best bet is to use airbrush. Even though I haven't used that thing before, that thing you showed don't seem to have the control. As well you will be wasting a lot of paint as it seems to have designed for covering a large area.

Winston

mike@af
04-04-2006, 11:12 AM
You can get a small airbrush compressor instead of a big one, and a Passche VL Airbrush. The VL is a great airbrush.

willimo
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't know what outlets you have for hobby supplies in Australia, but I think you're looking for the wrong thing entirely. You seem to not be looking for hobby tools. This is why your compressors seem so large, and perhaps why the airbrushes seem so expensive.

Paasche (http://www.paascheairbrush.com/store/search.html) makes stellar hobby equipment. I have a VL (find it under "DBL Action Airbrush") and I love it, and it is reasonably priced.

Badger (http://www.badgerairbrush.com/) also makes pretty good stuff, and it tends to be a little less expensive. They also make great compressors, I have the Whirlwind II and it works just fine for me, and it's less than a foot long and six inches around.

You can get into airbrushes for as cheaply or as expensively as you choose, pretty much, but your best bet is to start with something decent so you don't get bummed out by poor equipment. Those two sites will show you what's out there, but there are probably better places in Australia to get them from. Good luck!

brasher
04-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys.

I have looked into it a bit more, and I am considering getting a Paasche VL or H model airbrush.

I also looked into the Testors Aztec range, but heard a lot of tales of people having trouble with paint buildup.

Thanks again.
Chris.

MadMattMd
04-07-2006, 06:17 AM
I use a 3/4 horsepower general purpose air compressor from Sears that has a built-in pressure regulator. It's a bleeder type and has no storage tank. I've had this for many years and found it to be prefectly suited for airbrushing. It is noisy though. I did add a pressure gauge to more accurately adjust the pressure and an in-line water filter (a MUST HAVE item).

Here in the U.S. we have big-box craft stores like Michael's and A.C. Moore that carry airbrushes and dedicated compressors. Check your local paper for sale coupons. I recall a guy that used a 50% off coupon to buy a Badger compressor. He got a great deal.

For an airbrush, I'd suggest getting the best double-action you can afford. A Paasche VL or Badger Crescendo are top choices. You should never need another airbrush (I have six). If you get a perfectly servicable single action gun like the Badger 350 but will eventually want to upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Matt

SteveK2003
04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I agree with that, or you could go the economical route and just buy a ~10 gallong air tank and Home Depot. Add a few fittings and a regulator/water trap, and you'll be all set to go. Pretty cheap to do, and totally silent, but you need a big compressor to fill it up. This option is good if you want to work late at night or just don't want the noise, and have a way to easily fill it up (IE your own compressor, or a gas station with an air tank close by).

I think the Aztek system has potential, and if you use it right, it works well. The downside is that if you don't use it right, it's less forgiving than the other styles of airbrush. The plastic nozzles spray clean fairly easily, but you'll need to do a little more work to get all the paint out of the little nooks and crannies, and the plastic is good, but it will wear out faster than metal (Not THAT big a deal IMO as new nozzles are fairly inexpensive).

Paashe, Badger, and Iwata are all good airbrushes, with Iwata being head and shoulders above the rest. An Iwata Revolution can be found online for a price comprable to that of a similar Badger of Paasche, and would be the superior choice.

hirofkd
04-07-2006, 11:33 PM
My Tamiya Spray-Work Revo compressor is 19 cm long, 11 cm wide and 18 cm tall (7.5 x 4.3 x 7.1 inch), and I think that's pretty small. (And it's quiet, too.) I don't know how much dealers in Australia is charging, but I'm quite happy with the unit.

Lord Thanos
04-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Iwata airbrushes are the best. There is no substitute.

freakmech
04-09-2006, 01:47 AM
I have an Iwata Revolution CR and Paasche D500 compressor and cant complain a bit. maybe a $250 dollar investment in all but well worth it. I started with, and still have, a Paasche H, but all in all i bought a bunch of crap like Testors AB's and i should have just payed good money for good products to begin with. Ironically enough, i still use Tamiya and Gunze spray cans for most of my body paint but the airbrush has saved me tons on paint for chassis and interior work. LOL Save and buy good quality products, but be sure the hobby is worth the investment.

Add your comment to this topic!