pulling the block...

ItzmyCRX
04-04-2006, 01:06 AM
anyone have any links on how to pull out a b18a1 out of a 91 integra gs? i can find all the motor mounts i just don't know what else i need to pull out in order to get the motor out....any ideas? thanks!

WReX
04-04-2006, 07:35 AM
make sure all fuel lines and coolant lines are disconnected and get the wiring harness out of the way

oh and drop the shift linkage also, this may be a little tricky because theres a pin that holds one of the linkages to the trans (under a rubber boot) this thing will need all kinds of force to get it out but believe me, it will come out

knorwj
04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
just use a small round punch roughly the same diameter as the roll pin. then tap it out. easy. However for pulling the engine are you sure you have to disconnect that? I'm pretty sure only if you're pulling the tranny out with the engine you need to worry about that.

Off the top of my head you need to worry about:

engine mounts
wiring harness
fuel lines
exhaust
bell housing bolts
coolant hoses
starter
Also that thing that holds the intermediate shaft driver side axle is bolted to the engine I think? its been a long time since I've been under a teg. So I may be wrong about this one. However I belive it is just 2 bolts and you don't have to touch the axle or intermediate shaft to disconnect from the block.

Thats all I can think of, but if you get all that disconnected just go easy with the engine hoist and if something is hanging up, take a look, and disconnect it.

ItzmyCRX
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, i'm trying to leave the tranny, if at all possible, i don't know much about trannys so i don't want to disconnect shift linkage or anything and mess with that. It looks like all i have to do is worry about the engine mounts...i have the head off the motor already. And the header came off when i was taking off the head...the only thing i'm a little lost about is the crankshaft and how that attaches to the tranany...? All i have left in my motor is the block...pistons, rods and the crank...i have the head, header, and intake manifold off already so do i still need to disconnect fuel lines since aren't those connected to the intake manifold? Where should i lift the block from? Any lift points? It's my first time taking out a motor so sorry if some of my questions are sketchy.

Sulsa
04-05-2006, 02:11 AM
I don't think you can pull the motor by itself without doing something with the tranny. You can drop the tranny, and then pull the motor, or pull them both out at the same time. Otherwise you'll never get the clutch off the input shaft.

ItzmyCRX
04-05-2006, 02:44 AM
How do i drop the tranny? Is it just a matter of taking out the bolts that connect the housing to the motor or what?

Sulsa
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
hmm, I suggest you just pull them both out as one piece. I would only drop the tranny if I was trying to work on it or the clutch without pulling the motor. You won't be saving yourself any work by dropping the tranny. It's easier to pull from the block and to put it back on the block if it's out of the engine bay.

I assume you already pulled your axles out?

knorwj
04-05-2006, 06:42 PM
there is plenty of room in an integra engine bay to just unbolt the block from the tranny then slide the engine to the driver side 2-3 inches until the input shaft is clear, just be sure to support the tranny from underneath so it doesn't hang on the tranny mount on the passenger side. Doing that would rip the mounts.

superbluecivicsi
04-08-2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.php

pictures and all.

apply it to a cable tranny.

clampjockey
04-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Everyone is assuming your tranny is manual, automatics are way easier to leave in the car, and pull away from the motor since there isn't any input shaft, just a torque, and they are easier to line up when putting the engine back in, where manual trannys can sometimes be a byotch to line back up and put together while in the car (but it can be done, patience is usually a must) So, what I would normally do is, if it's automatic, leave the tranny in, that way you don't have to pull your axles and you won't lose any tranny fluid and won't likely have a mess of tranny fluid over the floor. If it's a manual, and I'm assuming you've never done this before (if so I applaud you for taking the initiative to learn to do it yourself) I would leave it hooked up to the motor and take them out in one piece, but by doing so you will have to pull axles, disconnect shifter cable, and tranny mounts, plus you are gonna lose some fluid (which I think is just 80W90 gear oil in a manual). Also, do yourself a favor and remove the radiator before you pull them out so that when you are lifting up your engine or engine&tranny, they don't slide ahead and bash into the rad. Also watch that you clear your master cylinder and brake lines. Now as for where to lift the block from, i usually leave the head on and lift from the loops on each end of the head, or if you don't plan on re-using your head bolts, which you shouldn't do, take three or four good washers, slide them onto a head bolt, slide your head bolt thru a link on one end of a 4 or 5 foot long chain and tread it back in to the block somewhere on the passengers side, do the same thing on the opposite end of your chain but tread the bolt into the block on the drivers side to try to balance the engine and to keep it as straight as possible when lifting it out. sorry for being so long winded, but I'm just trying to explain things clearly in case you haven't done it before.

integra-soler
04-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I pulled the engine out of my del sol which was an auto and it was a bitch to take out without takeing out the tranny. I pulled a couple engines before and the easiest way it to pull them both, and if you can drop it out the bottom of the car....much much easier then pulling it out the top then dropping the new 1 back in.

Add your comment to this topic!