Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car turns off when im turning

trigga_b
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Im tryin to see why my car turns off when im turning. This is my main concern, but other problems is the my gas hand drops slowly when i stop but when i start driving it goes back up to its position. Also sometimes i have to press the gas after I start it to keep it going. Personally I think it got somethin to do with my fuel injector, but im not a mechanic so i really dont know.

maxwedge
04-04-2006, 09:06 AM
What year? Does it start right back up after the stall also have the fuel pressure checked.

trigga_b
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM
its a 92 bonneville sse and it starts back up after it cuts off.

maxwedge
04-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Wiggle the connector at the ignition module see if the engine stumbles, another possibility.

sixsmiles
04-04-2006, 12:38 PM
I would recommend disconnecting 1 fuel injector at a time and confirm if rpm drops. If rpm does not drop, then check for spark. If spark is good (bright blue) then you can replace injector.
As far as engine dying on turns I had a Bonneville die intermittently whenever the engine rocked due to a poor engine ground. Ran a new wire from block to H frame and all problems went away.

rholland
04-04-2006, 06:16 PM
just had olds of same year and engine in the shop.i found a bad tps that made the car stall in turns and some times coming to a stop

trigga_b
04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
as a matter of fact my rpm stays above 1 like at 1.5. i test drove it today and did hard turns and it didn't cut off if I find out where the fuel injector is ill try that and rholland what is tps? also does anybody know where the block to chasis ground usually be?

sixsmiles
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Using a volt meter you can confirm that the ground wire is attached by checking resistance. The H Frame to Engire resistance should be below 10 Ohms. On my 95 Bonny it was 1.5 Ohms. If resistance is high then a new wire between block and H frame will work. There is no need to try to fix the old engine to H Frame gound.:wink:

On my 95 the block to H Frame ground is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You must have the vehicle lifted to find it, but once the vehicle is on jack stands, the ground comes off of the wire harness that also connects to the Power Steering pump, and other connectors in that area.
It is easier to connect a completely new wire 18 gage wire is enough, to a bolt on the engine and use an existing bolt on the H frame to have a second Engine to H Frame ground.

richtazz
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
The TPS is the "Throttle Position Sensor". It is mounted to the throttle body opposite where the accelerator cable hooks on and basically tells the computer where your foot is on the gas. I have seen a shorted TPS actually cause a car to not start at all. The stalling while turning part sounds like it could be something to with the engine moving around such as a ground strap like Six said.

trigga_b
04-07-2006, 10:05 PM
how do you test the resitance of the block and chasis. where would the red lead go and the black lead go?

Aremy Griese
04-07-2006, 11:27 PM
i had the same problem with my 91. it would stall around corners , but start right back up in park. all that ended up being rong with it was the positive connection on the battery, my year had 2 pos. wires going to the battery ,
if they were even just a little loose it would do that. check your terminals. it may not make much sence but it worked for me.

trigga_b
04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
i think a spark plug was a little loose because after I did that and test drove it, it didn't cut off but i didn't drive it that long. i did check the battery post and gave it a complete tune up, but i didnt test drive it again yet. now im tryin to see how to check the ground of the engine block, but i dont know where the test leads go.

randman1
04-11-2006, 09:53 PM
A TSB was released for this problem:

92655 JUL 92 Fuel - Momentary Loss of Power Hesitation On Turns (http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index2.html)

Someone with an Alldata subscription might be able to copy it here for you as I only have access to the TSB number, date of issue and title. The solution given in the TSB was a redesigned fuel strainer in the tank. Please obtain the full information in the TSB (through this forum or a buddy or nice GM service manager) before going through the hassle of dropping the tank.

sixsmiles
04-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Concerning testing the Block to H Frame resistance. Turn tester to Ohms, then put one lead on a good ground on the block (Any place where it is not painted metal, or scratch the bolt or other metal on the block), the other lead just touches the H frame. I got 13 Mega Ohms before I added a new ground wire then got 2 Ohms.
Let me know if you need additional details.

richtazz
04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
just to clarify for you, it doesn't matter which color you put where when testing ohms, as you're testing resistance between two points. Put one test lead (red or black) on the engine block, and the other on a good frame ground.

trigga_b
04-12-2006, 05:16 PM
i found out the problem, i need a fuel pressure regulator, but i still need to do that ground wire (big 3) cuz i got my sounds in but my lights isn't dimming or anything. Does the sse bonnevilles already have a alt that produces more than 105 amps?

DaveNBonne
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I have a 94 Bonneville that had the same problem. On the drive side right up front mounted on the manifold is a *%$&^ ( sorry forgot the name) , but it has a wire leading from it. There is a smaller one towards the back on the manifold. When I changed them my car stopped stalling while turning. It regulates the breathing of the car. I'll be back with the proper names. Also I cleaned my throttle body.

Add your comment to this topic!