89 Jeep Wrangler - Do safety recalls expire?

Jeepster_Floyd
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Do recalls expire? I've got a 1989 Jeep Wrangler that was involved in a Chrysler recall in 1993. The recall involved a cracked windshield frame due to faulty steel material. And wouldn't you know it, my Jeep's windshield frame is cracked. However, believe it or not, I've been fighting with Chrysler for 13 years to fix it. In 94, they refused to fix because they said the Jeep was no longer covered by body warranties - even tho they issued the safety recall. I eventually got over that hurdle. But, as years went by and Jeep body styles changed, I was eventually up against the fact that my part is no longer produced by Chrysler and thus would require their approval for an aftermarket part. I tried a few times and my nearby dealership tried a few times to get this approval, but to no success. Thanks to a friend of mine, a fabricated steel plate maintains use of my drivers wiper. But, I've been driving with the same cracked windshield frame for 13 years - a frame that no longer allows usage of my passenger wiper. Aside from contacting the US Transportation Dept and the NTHSA, what else can be done when you're up against a large company who refuses to honor their recall on an older vehicle with an obvious safety issue?

fredjacksonsan
04-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Hmmm... very odd situation. However I do know that if a recall item was previously replaced or repaired according to the recall, that the same repair cannot be made. So if you've had it done before, then you're out of luck.

But with ANY vehicle that's 17 years old, I don't think you'll be able to go back and have the part replaced for free by the manufacturer.

I'd think your best bet is to simply replace it. There are many places to secure a replacement. A couple of websites:

www.4wd.com
www.quadratec.com
www.jcwhitney.com
www.thejeep.com

mendoza46360
10-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Do recalls expire? I've got a 1989 Jeep Wrangler that was involved in a Chrysler recall in 1993. The recall involved a cracked windshield frame due to faulty steel material. And wouldn't you know it, my Jeep's windshield frame is cracked. However, believe it or not, I've been fighting with Chrysler for 13 years to fix it. In 94, they refused to fix because they said the Jeep was no longer covered by body warranties - even tho they issued the safety recall. I eventually got over that hurdle. But, as years went by and Jeep body styles changed, I was eventually up against the fact that my part is no longer produced by Chrysler and thus would require their approval for an aftermarket part. I tried a few times and my nearby dealership tried a few times to get this approval, but to no success. Thanks to a friend of mine, a fabricated steel plate maintains use of my drivers wiper. But, I've been driving with the same cracked windshield frame for 13 years - a frame that no longer allows usage of my passenger wiper. Aside from contacting the US Transportation Dept and the NTHSA, what else can be done when you're up against a large company who refuses to honor their recall on an older vehicle with an obvious safety issue?

as long as you call or go on jeep web site you'll need your vin number after you give them the vin they will bring up recalls and if your jeep or any car need it they have to fix it no matter how old the car is unless the car or part was discontinued. i just had some recalls done on my chrysler sebring 97 and they did all the recalls thats what they told me about recalls

jakegday
10-21-2006, 10:23 PM
my car is a 98, and every few months i get a thing in the mail reminding me to get a certain recall taken care of, i just havent had the time, and its not anything that important (to me anyways) so i dont know if they expire, but if they do, it takes longer then 9 years

Ray H
10-22-2006, 12:25 AM
In 94 when you tried to get it fixed they told you they wouldnt do it because it was out of warranty? A recall has nothing to do with the warranty period. You need to have a heart to heart with the dealer that told you that and try to get some documentation on that because thats a load of BS. You say youve been fighting them for 13 years, theres got to be some documentation.
I believe there is a limited period of time that manufacturers are obligated to issue recalls, I dont know what it is off hand. Once the recall has been issued, Like was said above, as long as they have the means to do it (ie: parts, tools etc.), I dont think there is a limited time to have it executed.
As far as I know, the windshield frame on an 89 is the same up to year 95. Wrangler had an eight year run from 87-95 with the same windshield frame, theres no reason they cant find a frame in inventory. They just dont want to do it. Maybe DC doesnt want them to do it, it really doesnt matter, it should be done. The NHTSA is responsible for ordering safety recalls. 1-800-424-9393. Give them a call and explain the situation. They will either tell you that DC is no longer responsible (I would believe it from NHTSA before the dealer) or they will get it fixed for you.
If you dont want to call NHTSA then heres DCs customer center 1-800- 992-1997
If this is worth anything, my 96 Cherokee just got a recall. 96 was the last year before changing bodies and other things (10 years ago), and Cherokees have been out of production for 5 years and its still getting recalled.

Add your comment to this topic!