Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 accord "suspension" question

Grandpa-Mobile
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
ok this might be a noob question, but I see two bolts that connect the steering system system together when I remove the front wheels.

they are two bolts or "rods" on each side and they are mangled and the bushing rubber is cracked

the car drives fine without vibration but i want to replace these bolts before it becomes serious.

what r they called ?????? so i can buy replacement parts

jeffcoslacker
04-04-2006, 06:23 AM
ok this might be a noob question, but I see two bolts that connect the steering system system together when I remove the front wheels.

they are two bolts or "rods" on each side and they are mangled and the bushing rubber is cracked

the car drives fine without vibration but i want to replace these bolts before it becomes serious.

I'm assuming you are talking about tie rod ends? Is the rubber towards the inboard side? If so you are talking about the boots that cover the inner tie rod ends and keep dirt and water away from the steering rack seals.

Otherwise you might be talking about the actual CV shafts, that come outta the transmission and through the spindle in the center of the wheel hub? Got a huge nut on the outboard end? If so, you're talking about CV shafts and boots.

vicchang
04-04-2006, 09:42 AM

Are you talking about the sway bar bushing? 4 rubber bushings on each side and kept together by a long bolt?

jeffcoslacker
04-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Are you talking about the sway bar bushing? 4 rubber bushings on each side and kept together by a long bolt?

Ahhh yeah, forgot about those on Hondas. Ever seen a Honda with a broken bar going down the road?:lol: I have...wheel jumps forward and hits the inner fender when they take off...:eek:

jeffcoslacker
04-04-2006, 09:58 AM
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d800d1aed.gif

Tell us what you are looking at...

Grandpa-Mobile
04-04-2006, 11:09 AM
thx for the replies

yes "sway bar Bushings" thats what my friend called them.

they are more like vertical bolts with rubber pieces every inch or so

with a square nut at the top of each one.

vicchang
04-05-2006, 10:23 AM
thx for the replies

yes "sway bar Bushings" thats what my friend called them.

they are more like vertical bolts with rubber pieces every inch or so

with a square nut at the top of each one.

It's easy to replace.

1. take off the wheel
2. remove the nut and long bolt
3. remove the rubber bushings. Note the order and orientation of the washers and spacer
4. if the collars got rusted and swallen, replace them too
5. lubricate the new rubber bushings with silicone grease
6. put everything back together and tighten the nut to 19 N-m or 14 lbf-ft
7. put the wheel back

You are done. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!