Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Caddy STS Questions

Master01
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I was looking at a 99 STS and it has 102K and I don't know how much he is asking for it, but I just looked at it, it looks like in good shape(but remains to be seen). But my question is how reliable is the 99 STS or caddys in general? What is the average gas millage people get with a V8? Thanks in advance for replying.

Hofmeister
04-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I've heard a few things regarding the adaptive suspension. From what I understand, it adjusts depending on the surface, speed, etc. I know a few people who had to replace the shocks and it was a huge expense. I'm sure the drivetrain should be fine as the Northstar is a great engine, and the 4-speed auto seems simple enough (though it does have Performance Algorithm Shifting). My only concern would be any electronic gizmos such as the adaptive seats (10 air cells that inflate and deflate), and the aformentioned suspension. But 300hp under your right foot should be fun.

The EPA rates the STS as getting 17mpg city, 26 mpg highway but EPA ratings are always too high (by at least 10%).

fredjacksonsan
04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
... But 300hp under your right foot should be fun.

The EPA rates the STS as getting 17mpg city, 26 mpg highway but EPA ratings are always too high (by at least 10%).

That's why the EPA estimates are off....they don't play with the 300HP like real drivers do....

Master01
04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Anybody else with some suggestions?? Also does the northstar V8 need premium gas?

Aphix
04-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Just wanted to mention that I used to own a 95' and it had some messed up suspension. Specifically the struts, it wasnt a major problem but you could feel the car rocking on the road. And the northstars are a big ass engine, I loved it.

drdisque
04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
the Northstar says it prefers premium gas, but you can put mid-grade in it and the knock sensor and ECU will retard the timing allowing you to run that fuel without blowing anything up (but give up power in the process)

Add your comment to this topic!