Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine hesitation on acceleration

Bagi
04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
when I press on gas the engine hesitates as if it's going to stall and the acceleration takes effect only after 2 seconds or around there, don know why! any response appreciated. Ooh yeah the check engine light is also on. :banghead:

dwilliams141
04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
What year/model is your car?

Bagi
04-16-2006, 02:16 AM
i have a corolla 01', any idea is greatly apprecieated!

dwilliams141
04-19-2006, 08:25 AM
sounds like your intake is getting bogged down due to too much air or fuel. I'd probably get the computer checked out, because on newer model cars like yours, they can give you details on why the check engine light is coming on. I think some places like advanced auto parts will read your computer for free.

Patman525
04-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Also check your spark plugs and wires, if you have a misfire, that causes a decrease in response time and will feel like its bogging down.

johnholl
04-19-2006, 11:16 AM
TPS and MAF should also be checked

Bagi
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
hey guys thx for info. I've checked the engine light by the scanner and it said: code "PO171. SYSTEM TOO LEAN. BANK 1". Somebody pls tell me what does it mean?

fastcorolla
05-17-2006, 12:24 PM
lol simple, car is runin to lean(bad mixture) do u have any mods? well in either care simple try reseting ur ECU...

1.unplug (-)cable on Bat. Let sit for 30 min
2.Plug back in, turn car on idle for 5min (with no accessorys)
3.Unplug (-)cable on Bat. for 30 seconds
4.Plug back in, go drive around how u normaly drive (fast, or slow).. Dont hit redline it cause's learning problems for the ECU..

This will give your ECU a chance to 'learn' how all the sensors act to your car during accell, cruse, idle...

also if u do it right u can set it to how u want it to drive..(faster)

chinozie
05-30-2006, 01:20 AM
what's the diff between disconnect -ve cable and the EFI fuse...???

guys...it seems that we are have the same problem that haven't found the solution yet...
see the link below...

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=141009

astrosurfer
08-05-2006, 06:51 PM
has anyone checked the vacuum connection to the auto timing advance.
what about the throttle sensor and mass airflow unit perhaps?
just a suggestion

Ncgreasemonkey
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Sounds to me like you've got an intake leak somewhere. Take some carb cleaner and spray around the intake with it idling... when you notice an idle change *bingo* there's your leak. Also check vacuum hoses... I suspect it's not going to be to some sensor (such as map or timing advance, becuase it'd have a code for that too, presumably). If it's a MAF system (has the sensor right past the airbox, make sure the runner from your air box to the intake doesn't have any cracks or loose connections.

wrightz28
09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
is your, or does your idle speed seem abnormally higher/ That would be an indicator also of a vacuum leak.

Another possiblity is a bad O2 sensor. if you've neglected changing or cleaning plugs for a while, the carbon builds up in the exhaust, and the O2 sensor gets clogged up. Since it can't read the exhaust contents, the ECU guesses and says it's lean.

just :2cents: of htought

jpg366
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
My '97 had that kind of hesitation, was showing random misfires, and needed one of the ingnition coils replaced. Unfortunately, these OBD-II messages require some guesswork and experimenting with parts replacement.

dksjan5
10-25-2013, 06:38 AM
My '06 had the same hesitation problem at red lights and stop signs, every time I hit the gas pedal fast.

I found the Air Intake hose clamp completely loose. This happened after the air filter was replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!