Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Neon coolant leaking from exhaust

tlarson
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi, I noticed the other day small amounts of coolant (quarter sized puddles) on the floor under the exhaust (under the muffler, and at several points toward front under exhaust pipe).

I'm thinking that this could be the start of a head gasket problem, coolant level was down a little. Started it, ran OK, no coolant smell in exhaust, at least that I could tell.

Any opinions? Thanks.

sheetmagnet
04-03-2006, 09:24 PM
If indeed you do have coolant leaking from inside of your exhaust, then you do have a blown head gasket. I've had a few on different cars... some mild like yours, some worse. Here are a few cheap tips that may help you though.

1. Flush your radiator and water jackets and add a good 50/50 or 60/40 mixture, and make sure your thermostat is functioning properly.

2. Buy a bottle of Bar stop-leak or Prestone radiator leak sealant and maintenance conditioner. This stuff works sometimes and both are under $6.

3. If that doesn't work, try adding a tablespoon of ground pepper into your radiator and drive it for a week. As long as the leak isn't a gush, the tiny pepper grains will slowly start to plug the hole and hold the coolant at bay.

4. Last option with goodies: Tear your heads off, stone your block and mill 0.015" off your head, do a 5-angle valve-job, and throw a copper head gasket in next time (virtually unblow-able when done right).

Add your comment to this topic!