Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Burned out shifter position light bulb

dmg1969
04-03-2006, 10:39 AM
The other night I noticed that the light bulb which illuminates the automatic transmission position is burned out. How do I go about replacing that?

Thanks in advance!

Dave dmg1969)

tomcat_cool17
04-06-2006, 04:00 PM
:banghead:It's not very fun, but it can be done. The bulb you can get at any automotive store or walmart, I forget the bulb number. You have to remove the back portion of the center console first (the emergency brake half) buy lifting the back end up. Undo the screws in the center and remove the shifter knob. Remove the exposed screws holding the front piece of the center console down and lift up, undo the clips by the dash. Be careful pulling on it because those clips are really fragile and it won't go back together snug if you break them. Once the console is removed, undo the screws at the base of the shifter bracket and turn on its side. Pull the wire harness from the clip holding it underneath the shifter and twist the bulb out. Obviously do the reverse for installation. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more instruction and I will see what I can do.:grinyes:

AltecZX2
04-08-2006, 12:47 AM
you act like it hard...i pull that shit all the time its like 5min lol

tomcat_cool17
04-08-2006, 03:47 PM
It's alot easier on a manual tranny than it is an auto to remove that center console. You have to be very careful not to break any of the connectors, and on older ZX2 it will be very stubborn to remove without cracking the plastic up by the radio stack. Changing the light itself is easy, it's getting to it, especially if you have not done it before. There aren't any good pictures to show you how it comes off, so you just have to be careful how you pull and try to get the best looks at the connectors holding it together.

AltecZX2
04-08-2006, 03:54 PM
ive owned an auto...its not to much different.

tomcat_cool17
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
How long did it take you the very first time Altec? Took me about 30 minutes. And that was going slow and making sure everything was coming apart the way it is supposed to. I was just makig sure he would allow him enough time in case he runs into a snag or isn't as confident about doing it as you are.

AltecZX2
04-13-2006, 10:16 PM
How long did it take you the very first time Altec? Took me about 30 minutes. And that was going slow and making sure everything was coming apart the way it is supposed to. I was just makig sure he would allow him enough time in case he runs into a snag or isn't as confident about doing it as you are.

maybe 15-20

tomcat_cool17
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
maybe 15-20

Exactly, so it will take him more than 5 minutes. Didn't want him to think he could do it automatically in 5 minutes and not allow himself enough time.

Mlevan78
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
should there be a shifter position light in the center console for all models of zx2? I own a 98 which seems like a very base model, manual windows and locks. I have never seen a light come on in the center console since i bought it for the shifter. Just curious if anyone knows before i start pulling the console apart.

tomcat_cool17
05-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes, every Z should have a light underneath the letters of the shifter console. Mine is also a early date base ZX2.

mls60442
09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I know this has been inactive for a few months and I'm new, but I just changed my bulb today on an '02 Z. It wasn't that hard, the second post was very informative. The bulb number I think was 158, at least that's what I think the bulb said. I put a 168 in and it works just fine.

tomcat_cool17
09-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I know this has been inactive for a few months and I'm new, but I just changed my bulb today on an '02 Z. It wasn't that hard, the second post was very informative. The bulb number I think was 158, at least that's what I think the bulb said. I put a 168 in and it works just fine.

Glad I could help out! How long did it take you, and did you break/crack anything?

mls60442
09-27-2006, 10:00 PM
It took me between 15 and 30 minutes to get apart. I want to say it was probably around 20 minutes or so. I didnt break or crack anything. The only thing that did crack was an outer ring to one of the black circular clips on the outside of the console beneath the radio, but I think it was already cracked before I started. I just worked slowly and made sure where each clip was. The hardest part was putting those outer black circular clips back in. But oh well, I finally have my shifter light. I haven't had it since I got the car used about two and a half years ago and I have to say I like it.

tomcat_cool17
09-28-2006, 06:18 AM
It took me between 15 and 30 minutes to get apart. I want to say it was probably around 20 minutes or so. I didnt break or crack anything. The only thing that did crack was an outer ring to one of the black circular clips on the outside of the console beneath the radio, but I think it was already cracked before I started. I just worked slowly and made sure where each clip was. The hardest part was putting those outer black circular clips back in. But oh well, I finally have my shifter light. I haven't had it since I got the car used about two and a half years ago and I have to say I like it.

2.5 years? Yea, its gotta feel like a new interior!!! Yea, it bugged me when it went out on my ZX2, I think I only waited 2 weeks before I replaced it, missed having that glow below my eyes I guess.

Add your comment to this topic!