Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help from the AC people.

AzDrag
07-11-2002, 02:19 AM
I have a 98 neon that doesn't blow cold air. Everything is in good condition and I am thinking that it just needs to be recharged. Exactly what does that mean? Can I just let out all the AC stuff thats in there now and refill it myself? Or should I just put some in it or what?How many cans will it take to fill it all? Any good suggestions would be great. I am somewhat knowledgeable with cars but AC just isnt in my field at all. Thanks.

PS I want to avoid taking it someplace.

higgimonster
07-11-2002, 07:30 AM
go to walmart and pick up the r134a recharge kit (should include oil, refrigerant, hook up hose, and something to measure the pressure of the system with. i think it runs about $30. Make sure to open the package carefully so that you can repack it if you need to. use the pressure guage to check to see if your system actually has a problem or is just in need of a recharge. if the charge is full then just throw the guage back into the package and bring it back to walmart. the line i use a lot is that it wasn't the right kind for my car. Walmart will take anything back and you wont have to spend $30 on something you don't need.
I am no AC expert but my AC just recently kicked and i did this. turns out my problem is with Saab's failure-prone thermoswitch on the compressor. good luck

AzDrag
07-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey thanks a lot...i will try that. If it has full pressure what does that mean then? Do i need to let it all out and then refill it?

higgimonster
07-12-2002, 06:48 AM
if it has full pressure then the problem may lie elsewhere in your system. things such as temperature switches and just general wiring issues could be the culprit if you are full pressure. but you can cross the river whenyou get there.

ivymike1031
07-12-2002, 08:24 AM
and do us all a favor - DO NOT vent your refrigerant to the atmosphere (don't let it all out)!

higgimonster
07-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ivymike1031
and do us all a favor - DO NOT vent your refrigerant to the atmosphere (don't let it all out)!

umm....
even r134a? :rolleyes:
opps.

AzDrag
07-12-2002, 12:12 PM
I thought that stuff was ok for the atmosphere and thats why they changed it. I could be wrong though.

ivymike1031
07-12-2002, 01:30 PM
it's more like "less bad than this other stuff"

higgimonster
07-12-2002, 01:42 PM
so it is like a light cigarette compared to a full flavor.
i will have to be more carefull with that stuff.

Steel
07-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Screw r134, FREON ALL THE WAY!

Actaully, one of my freinds accidently dumped 15 pounds of freon into the atmosphere, hehe.:o

He was working with a commercial rooftop AC system, dropped the bottle and it broke the nozzle off and sprayed ALLLLLLLL the freon out. 15 pounds in aobut 10 seconds. Needless to say he had to wait a few minutes before he could pick up the bottle and hide it. Normally that would be like, a $100k fine or so, but shhhhh;)

He probably shortened everyones life by aobut 5 seconds, lol.

Add your comment to this topic!