Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2007 Caliber SRT4

Pages : [1] 2

sheetmagnet
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, the new 2007 Caliber SRT4 has the following as standard equipment:

- All-aluminum 2.4L @ 300 hp with Mitsubishi-choked turbo
- 3 hood scoops (1 for intake, 2 for heat evacuation)
- Brake cooling tunnels ducted through front facia
- 200 MPH speedo, boost gauge, etc
- 5-spoke 17" alloys
- PVO body kit

Most of these are all direct carry-overs or modified ideas from the Neon-based SRT4 line. The only big exceptions are the 300 hp baseline, and extra cooling ducts. I don't count the 200 mph speedo, because in my opinion the Neon/SRT4 was probably more aerodynamic than the Caliber, and even with the 300 hp the caliber delivers, it probably won't do much more than squeek past the Neon-based cars in the top-speed category. In other words, the 200 mph speedo would be useless for two reasons: The car probably couldn't make it out of the high 150's... and besides what kind of jack*** would even have the nuts to stare at their speedo while going 200? He he ok well at least they put some extra umph into the Caliber line, despite the extra door and ugly-Vibe looks.

Oh yeah, the test-drive video from the 2006 Chicago Auto Show for the '07 Caliber SRT4 is posted on edmunds.com... it doesn't really tell you anything more than this post though... same ugly car under the body kit too.

das2123
04-03-2006, 07:55 AM
For more info, visit allpar.com...
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/caliber-srt4.html

Curb Weight, lb. (estimated) 3189 :eek: . what a cow!

BrodyP
04-03-2006, 10:08 AM
No AWD such a disapointment.

ponchonutty
04-03-2006, 10:48 AM
AWD will be out later I think in the 3rd quarter.

TEXSRT4
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
the AWD wont be available on the srt because of the fragile nature of dodge's awd.

think about this one...the new evo will be built on the same chassis...the new world engines are shared between the two platforms (dodge uses the 2.4 the mitsu 2.0). hmmmm....i wonder how much effort a swap will be

das2123
04-04-2006, 07:50 AM
No AWD such a disapointment.What'd you expect from DCX? They haven't cared about the consumer in quite some time now.

sheetmagnet
04-04-2006, 11:16 PM
the AWD wont be available on the srt because of the fragile nature of dodge's awd.

think about this one...the new evo will be built on the same chassis...the new world engines are shared between the two platforms (dodge uses the 2.4 the mitsu 2.0). hmmmm....i wonder how much effort a swap will be

Keep this in mind too: DCX had postponed starting full production in their new Global World Engine Plant #1 in Dundee, MI., for almost a full year, and didn't start until late last year... because Mitsubishi's stock had fallen more than expected, and DCX backed out of investing any more money into Mitsu. The indecision of what would happen led to the postponement of engine production, as DCX waited for Mitsubishi to restructure their entire business plan and future forecasts. That being said, I wouldn't count on the Evo and the Caliber sharing any more parts than necessary unless it benefits DCX in a big way.

ponchonutty
04-05-2006, 06:26 AM

Where did you get that information? On Dodge's site you can already spec out one with AWD.

das2123
04-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Where did you get that information? On Dodge's site you can already spec out one with AWD.Where? I don't see it.

BrodyP
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
This thing aint hitting 13's 1/4 is it??
Heard somthing today about that, god I dont wanna have to watch my back for one of these creeping up haha.

ponchonutty
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh my bad. I had to reread the posts. You can get the AWD in the R/T version but not the srt4. The talk from some of the DCX people on srtforums.com sounds like the did that because of cost concerns.

das2123
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
You can get the AWD in the R/T version but not the srt4. I don't think the AWD is optional on the R/T, I think it's standard.

joe92k1500
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I just got my issue of motortrend in the mail. They did a test on the caliber RT AWD, and there were a few things that alarmed me. First the weight of almost 3400lbs, and it has 0.40 drag coefficient (from allpar.com). Holy crap!!! The new tahoe/escalade is rated at 0.36, and the old SRT-4 was 0.32. This thing is about as aerodynamic as a house!! 0-60 was over 10 seconds. I think my auto neon does that now.

BrodyP
04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I just got my issue of motortrend in the mail. They did a test on the caliber RT AWD, and there were a few things that alarmed me. First the weight of almost 3400lbs, and it has 0.40 drag coefficient (from allpar.com). Holy crap!!! The new tahoe/escalade is rated at 0.36, and the old SRT-4 was 0.32. This thing is about as aerodynamic as a house!! 0-60 was over 10 seconds. I think my auto neon does that now.

Mid 5's 0-60 SRT version, 10's come on if that were the case I'd rather throw on my Nikes and "run" at the track.

Tony Stewart Fan
04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm excited to go see the Caliber at the dealership this weekend. I'd like to give it a test drive if I have time. I like it's looks, but I want to see all the cool features up close.

sheetmagnet
04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm excited to go see the Caliber at the dealership this weekend. I'd like to give it a test drive if I have time. I like it's looks, but I want to see all the cool features up close.

What cool features? The AWD might be cool, but other than that, there is nothing outstanding about this car. It is fugly in my opinion... looks like a Pontiac Vibe and a Dodge Magnum had sex and this is what popped out nine months later.

If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride.

...and if cat's tasted like chicken, we'd all be eating pussy...

dtjackten
04-06-2006, 09:49 PM
that is the funniest thing that i have heard about the ugly *** caliber, yeah i like the interior alittle but would never be cought dead in one, the neon is sleek and smooth looking the caliber looks like well a vibe and magnium had sex......lol lol

das2123
04-06-2006, 11:42 PM
...and if cat's tasted like chicken, we'd all be eating pussy...It does :grinyes:

ponchonutty
04-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Personally, I am not impressed with it. Maybe tony stewart fan is excited to see the available pop cooler that's located above the pass. airbag. I am sure that'd be fun when those suckers pop in an accident.

TEXSRT4
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
heck, the beer cooler is cool with me, especially if it was in the $15,000 caliber, however, in the srt4 version i dont want plush, i want GO. that, afterall, is what the srt4 lineup was designed to do, back before DCX got soft (magnum/300c/charger are all automatics...thats soft!)

sheetmagnet
04-10-2006, 10:02 PM
heck, the beer cooler is cool with me, especially if it was in the $15,000 caliber, however, in the srt4 version i dont want plush, i want GO. that, afterall, is what the srt4 lineup was designed to do, back before DCX got soft (magnum/300c/charger are all automatics...thats soft!)

But imagine if they weren't autos... I mean, take the 300C. I like the chopped-roof look, and the fact that someone introduced a new car that was actually RWD with a V8. And consider this--the 300C SRT8 is still an automatic, and wieghs as much 2+ neons, and still a gas guzzler... but it is listed at 440 hp, and supposedly churns out low-13-second runs in the 1/4 off the dealership lot... that my friends, is balls. I can imagine what kind of "grin" factor the SRT8 has when it's owner blows the doors off of a much "sportier" Mustang GT. If it was a stick, you could potentially assume a flat 13-sec pass or lower with the right driver... but it would have probably been a T56 out of a Viper, and then you could argue that the the Viper motor could fit in it too... but then if you start throwing the Viper 500/505 motor into ever car Dodge makes, you have to put a bigger, better motor in your flagship Viper (which would be hard to justify to the lawyers since it already churns out 500 hp). But anyway, if they would have shoved the SRT8 drivetrain into a Neon, I wouldn't have cared less if it was an automatic and I would have been the first to buy one!

TEXSRT4
04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
thats the issue with it though, it would be mid 12s stock and compete with the c6 corvette...but dodge missed that opportunity

Tony Stewart Fan
04-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't know. For as cheap as the Caliber is shaping up to be, all the features seem pretty cool. Like the, glovebox cooler, cellphone/iPod holder, and the speakers that flip out the back. You don't see a lot of features like that on most cars that price.

das2123
04-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't know. For as cheap as the Caliber is shaping up to be, all the features seem pretty cool. Like the, glovebox cooler, cellphone/iPod holder, and the speakers that flip out the back. You don't see a lot of features like that on most cars that price.And the caliber will have all the problems that Dodge has with all of it's cars when in production it first couple of years. Not worth it to me. Besides how many soccer moms are worried about an iPod holder?

BrodyP
04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I took this pic at Sema this weekend.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/beastiek2/DSC00501.jpg

Tony Stewart Fan
04-12-2006, 08:39 AM

That's a pretty cool picture. I had yet to see any pictures of it with different paint schemes or modifications. With the low cost, I imagine, the Caliber will be great for this type of stuff b/c people can use the extra $$ to do interesting things with the car.

das2123
04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
With the low cost, I imagine, the Caliber will be great for this type of stuff b/c people can use the extra $$ to do interesting things with the car.$14,000 for a 3000 lb 148HP engine and only 125 ft/lbs of torque that will have no immediate aftermarket support? I'd rather buy a $1500-$2000 first gen neon that weighs 2400 lbs with a 150HP engine with plenty of aftermarket support:grinyes:

SRT-Wannabe
04-12-2006, 12:34 PM
dodge is notorious for building some heavy cars, and once again here they go proving everyone right. the only car to me that was their best car was the neon and it's SRT/RT line. they need to scrap the calibur and bring in the razor to destroy the silly expectations everyone has for dodge, they will need to be more innovative, rather than ignoring the consumers.

TEXSRT4
04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
i love that dodge is thinking this will save them in their "small car market". and yet, the caliber got slaughtered in motor trend this past month

sheetmagnet
04-13-2006, 03:38 AM
...With the low cost, I imagine, the Caliber will be great for this type of stuff b/c people can use the extra $$ to do interesting things with the car.

...And they can save a ton of more money by switching their car insurance to Geico. With all that extra money, they can chop the roof and the rear hatch off, and put some sloped glass and a trunk on it. Maybe throw in a 4.6L out of a Dakota and make it rear-drive too :-).

maykelcj
04-16-2006, 09:11 PM
$14,000 for a 3000 lb 148HP engine and only 125 ft/lbs of torque that will have no immediate aftermarket support? I'd rather buy a $1500-$2000 first gen neon that weighs 2400 lbs with a 150HP engine with plenty of aftermarket support:grinyes:

Totally right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DCX is Doomed on the small car market!!!!!!! any car lover knows that weight=slow, so if the caliber weights more than a neon and has less power, then I'll go and get a used neon instead of a fat caliber.

sheetmagnet
04-17-2006, 02:41 AM
All I can think of when reading the negative replies to the Caliber, is the GOOD cars that Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Eagle actually did build within a "reasonable" price range in the last 15 years for limited amounts of time for some reason, like:

Dodge Stealth SS - (I got smoked by one of these on the street once... first streetable Stealth I ever personally saw that could yank the front wheels... I still get wood just thinking about it)
Eagle Talon Tsi/Plymouth Laser
SRT4
Chrysler Conquest Tsi

Most of these cars were 2-door pocket-rockets and could all achieve 30+ mpg if needed, many were RWD or AWD too... makes you wonder what DCX is smoking lately. It's pretty bad when the only popular 2-door they sell now is a truck (unless you include Mercedes models)... or maybe, they're trying to avoid competition by GM and Ford, and are "secretly" going to unveil and launch another pocket-rocket next year with no spying and prep from the other manufacturers. Let's not forget the Slingshot concept either...

Tony Stewart Fan
04-17-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm honestly surprised about the negativity. I tend to think the Caliber will offer something new to the market, especially for those that are looking to start out with a lower cost car. Apparently it has sold pretty well so far, my local dealership is sold out.

das2123
04-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I tend to think the Caliber will offer something new to the marketWhat's new about it? It's a PT Cruiser with a Dodge logo!

SRT-Wannabe
04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
All I can think of when reading the negative replies to the Caliber, is the GOOD cars that Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Eagle actually did build within a "reasonable" price range in the last 15 years for limited amounts of time for some reason, like:

Dodge Stealth SS - (I got smoked by one of these on the street once... first streetable Stealth I ever personally saw that could yank the front wheels... I still get wood just thinking about it)
Eagle Talon Tsi/Plymouth Laser
SRT4
Chrysler Conquest Tsi

Most of these cars were 2-door pocket-rockets and could all achieve 30+ mpg if needed, many were RWD or AWD too... makes you wonder what DCX is smoking lately. It's pretty bad when the only popular 2-door they sell now is a truck (unless you include Mercedes models)... or maybe, they're trying to avoid competition by GM and Ford, and are "secretly" going to unveil and launch another pocket-rocket next year with no spying and prep from the other manufacturers. Let's not forget the Slingshot concept either...

Don't forget about the dodge stratus R/T, i personally liked those cars, but i think the aftermarket support for it is fairly small.

sheetmagnet
04-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Don't forget about the dodge stratus R/T, i personally liked those cars, but i think the aftermarket support for it is fairly small.

Okay, so I forgot a few... but I agree, I think the aftermarket support is pretty lean for that car (as well as most of the other cars on the list)... I always liked the idea of the Conquest... I know they have a small "cult" following, but they're getting pretty rare too. Who knows though, in 10 or 15 years a Stratus R/T may be worth something more... I mean, who would think to collect them NOW? lol

Tony Stewart Fan
04-18-2006, 07:42 AM

I showed your pic to a friend of mine last night, and he couldn't believe it was a Caliber b/c he's seen the price point for it on the tv ads. Then, I showed him these http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/g/I/bk_07caliber_speakers.jpg and now he is thinking about buying one for himself.

das2123
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I showed him these and now he is thinking about buying one for himself.Poor guy :shakehead

maykelcj
04-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I showed your pic to a friend of mine last night, and he couldn't believe it was a Caliber b/c he's seen the price point for it on the tv ads. Then, I showed him these http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/g/I/bk_07caliber_speakers.jpg and now he is thinking about buying one for himself.
:disappoin :loser: I can't understand how a flip-boombox makes people to buy a car???? :shakehead

sheetmagnet
04-19-2006, 05:30 AM
...reminds me of the guys with the tongues hanging out of their Puma's that used to walk around the 'hood in the '80s thinking it was cool to carry a 200-pound boom-box on their shoulder...

Tony Stewart Fan
04-19-2006, 08:13 AM
:disappoin :loser: I can't understand how a flip-boombox makes people to buy a car???? :shakehead

You have to admit though, if you do a lot of tailgating, this would be a pretty handy feature.

das2123
04-19-2006, 08:17 AM
You have to admit though, if you do a lot of tailgating, this would be a pretty handy feature.No a flip down plasma would be a handy feature :grinyes:

Tony Stewart Fan
04-20-2006, 09:10 AM
No a flip down plasma would be a handy feature :grinyes:

::drool:: flip down plasma ::drool::

How nice would that be. The speakers are a pretty cool addition for tailgaiting, but the plasma would be silly. I guess you could work on adding something flip out aftermarket to go with the speakers already on the Caliber.

ponchonutty
04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Personally, I'd rather have more space than a HUGE pod that holds tiny speakers.

Tony Stewart Fan
04-24-2006, 09:20 AM
There's still actually quite a bit of space there. I don't think the speakers really take away from the space in the back at all.

sheetmagnet
04-25-2006, 04:35 AM
There's still actually quite a bit of space there. I don't think the speakers really take away from the space in the back at all.

If I WERE to buy one, I think I would save the $1200 off the sticker price and get one without the factory speakers and stereo... then drive it off the lot to the local respected car audio dealer and throw $1200 worth of Panasonic and JL Audio components into it. I'd use up no more space than the factory flop-out gimmick that DCX put in the Caliber, and it would sound 5 times better and 5 times the volume if desired... I guess if you flop that ugly thing out and look at a Caliber from the back, it's got the same "Hi" look to it like the 1st-gen Neon's did from the front. SOOOOOOOOO I guess DCX DID carry over something from the Neon into the Caliber ha ha ha j/k.

Tony Stewart Fan
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
While I think the flip out speakers are pretty cool, I agree with you that the Caliber has a lot of customization potential. Because it's so cheap, it's gonna be a really good option for people that want to add and subtract from the base model.

SRT-Wannabe
04-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I think it has more potential as a show car rather than a weekend racer.

Tony Stewart Fan
04-26-2006, 08:15 AM
I think it has more potential as a show car rather than a weekend racer.

There's nothing wrong with a really cool show car though. Whether people use it for racing or show, it still has the potential for a lot of great customization based on its price.

SRT-Wannabe
04-26-2006, 05:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with a really cool show car though. Whether people use it for racing or show, it still has the potential for a lot of great customization based on its price.

that is true, maybe there's room for like a really huge turbo, or better yet, maybe a V8 crate engine, i'd totally drop a small block in that ride and turn it into a monster, muhahahaha :evillol:

Elk
04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
It looks like the SRT-4 Caliber is going to be only $22,000.
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10907/preview-review-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4.html

das2123
04-28-2006, 03:57 PM
It looks like the SRT-4 Caliber is going to be only $22,000.
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10907/preview-review-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4.html
So they built a fatter, heavier, slower, more expensive replacement for the SRT-4 neon :shakehead *sighs*

Elk
04-28-2006, 06:28 PM
So they built a fatter, heavier, slower, more expensive replacement for the SRT-4 neon :shakehead *sighs*
The performance numbers are just estimates. I’m sure when they actually test the Caliber SRT-4 it will be faster then the Neon.

das2123
04-28-2006, 09:51 PM
The performance numbers are just estimates. I’m sure when they actually test the Caliber SRT-4 it will be faster then the Neon.I doubt it will be faster, but it will be heavier, less aerodynamic, and more expensive!

Elk
04-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I doubt it will be faster, but it will be heavier, less aerodynamic, and more expensive!
Look the SRT-4 Neon is not a light car it weighs 2,980 lbs, the SRT-4 Caliber is 3,200 lbs that’s about a 7% difference in weight. The SRT-4 Neon has 230 hp, the SRT-4 has 300 hp that’s about a 30% difference in power. The Caliber will be faster.

SRT-Wannabe
04-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Look the SRT-4 Neon is not a light car it weighs 2,980 lbs, the SRT-4 Caliber is 3,200 lbs that’s about a 7% difference in weight. The SRT-4 Neon has 230 hp, the SRT-4 has 300 hp that’s about a 30% difference in power. The Caliber will be faster.

hp doesn't different doesn't mean crap, the neon is lighter, and i have no doubt in my mind that it can beat the caliber.

sheetmagnet
04-29-2006, 04:36 AM
hp doesn't different doesn't mean crap, the neon is lighter, and i have no doubt in my mind that it can beat the caliber.

I agree. Balls-out, with the same professional driver, with a stock '04 or '05 Neon SRT4 would whale ass on a Caliber SRT4, hands-down for many reasons. Argue it, and I will tell you why.

das2123
04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
The Caliber will be faster.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The SRT is underrated from the factory!

SRT-Wannabe
04-29-2006, 11:47 AM
believe me, I've watched Srt-4 neons destroy SVT cobras, and they are FAST, but not quite as fast as the SRT :)

Elk
04-29-2006, 11:49 AM
The weight difference is only a little more then having an extra passenger in the Neon. SRT-4 Neon doesn’t become a slow car when you have more then one person in it.

agree. Balls-out, with the same professional driver, with a stock '04 or '05 Neon SRT4 would whale ass on a Caliber SRT4, hands-down for many reasons. Argue it, and I will tell you why.
Ok explain to me how the SRT-4 Caliber weighing 220 lbs more then the SRT-4 Neon is going to make the Neon faster in the 1/4 mile with a professional driver even know the Caliber has a massive power advantage?

The SRT is underrated from the factory!
What makes you think that the SRT Caliber will be any different then the Neon when it come to the power rating?

Add your comment to this topic!