Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'76 '02 sitting too long :(

dizzy1ski
04-02-2006, 03:59 PM
My '76 '02 has been sitting for about a year and now it won't go into gear while the engine is running. It seems like the clutch just isn't working right. Any body know what the problem might be?

MagicRat
01-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Jack,
It's quite common for the clutch disk to get stuck to the flywheel if the car has been sitting for a long time. This means that, even when you push down on the clutch pedal, the disk will not release, so it behaves as if the clutch is still engaged.

Usually, I am able to break the clutch loose by
1. Engine off, place the transmission in gear.
2. Push down on the clutch pedal
3. Engage the starter.

Be careful here, give yourself plenty of room. The car may roll, or start-up and start driving, so this is best done on a roadway, not in your garage.

Hopefully, the clutch disk will break loose quickly, but if you find the car starts driving away and the clutch will not release, them hold the clutch pedal down and step on the brake. Give it a bit of throttle, too if you can and the disk will eventually come loose.

Finally, although I have done this many times with no damage, it is possible your car has issues or existing damage which may get worse if you try this. This method is also a bit hard on the starter motor gear, so, if in doubt, have the car towed to a mechanic instead.

Samiparker
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
replace this car brother, dont waste your time on this, if you have money replace this one.

Add your comment to this topic!