Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wind noise from doors..

rodeo02
04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Just had my '05 TB in for a horrible rattle in the drvs side door. Turns out the key lock on the driver's side door was broken. The linkages for the manual lock in the door fell to the bottom & were rattling around driving me nuts! Unbeknownst to me, it was like that when I bought the TB ~month ago. While I was in, I asked if they could remedy the wind noise. They took'er into the body shop & 'repositioned' the door frame tops for a tighter fit & added some black sealant around the outside door window weather stripping (black rubber stuff), where there were gaps in the corners. All this helped very little. The next day I added a set of vent shades for all 4 doors. That did it! Wind noise is not totally gone, but it's greatly reduced!

Joel

dorg4
04-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Just had my '05 TB in for a horrible rattle in the drvs side door. Turns out the key lock on the driver's side door was broken. The linkages for the manual lock in the door fell to the bottom & were rattling around driving me nuts! Unbeknownst to me, it was like that when I bought the TB ~month ago. While I was in, I asked if they could remedy the wind noise. They took'er into the body shop & 'repositioned' the door frame tops for a tighter fit & added some black sealant around the outside door window weather stripping (black rubber stuff), where there were gaps in the corners. All this helped very little. The next day I added a set of vent shades for all 4 doors. That did it! Wind noise is not totally gone, but it's greatly reduced!

Joel
I have had the same problem on my 04 TB had it in to dealer twice. Still have air noise. No wonder Toyota is winning.

dorg4
04-15-2006, 03:06 PM
I have an 04 with the same problem, Dealer had two opportunities to fix and failed both times. What can I do from here?

rodeo02
04-15-2006, 07:39 PM
dorg, get yourself a set of vent shades for all 4 doors. I got mine thu eBay for less than $40. Autoventshade "AVS" is the brand. They helped considerably. A tube of permatex black silicone sealer is a TB's best friend as well to seal up areas around the gaps in the exterior black rubber weatherstripping.

G/luck
Joel

jhinz57
04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
My 2005 Envoy has the wind noise thing also. It sounds like the windows are open. I will go the vent shade route! Thanks for the HELP!

bobbo1963
04-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I just got off the phone with gm canada. Their is a recall on the rear door seals. This help and it is free. I got a '03 extended.

jhinz57
04-22-2006, 07:04 AM
I put on a set of auto vent shades on my 2005 Envoy and the reduction in noise is marginal at best. I did some research, after the fact, and it seems other forums regarding consumer ratings of the AVS product were less than satifactory. The aero dynamics of a Trail Blazer may vary slightly from that of it's Envoy cousin just enough to make a difference. I wouldn't recommend them.

edbrycem
04-22-2006, 08:48 AM
does this recall go for 02 TB? I did learn recently that there is a recall on the 02 TB for their headlights or the amber lights. recalls are set to go out in June or July. Just an FYI for everyone

rodeo02
04-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I put on a set of auto vent shades on my 2005 Envoy and the reduction in noise is marginal at best. .

Are these the stick on or channel mount visors? (mine are stick on) Oh well.. atleast you can eliminate the top of the door window areas as being the culpret then. That area should be completely shielded by the vent shades. I agree that AVS are not the best vent shades out there, but they met my expectations for <$40.

Joel

jhinz57
04-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Mine are the stick on type.
jhinz57

fortcarp
03-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Mine did this only on passenger side. I'm sure you tried this but on mine the weather strip seal on the top of the door was a little off it's channel. A little rtv in the channel and a good seat back into channel worked for me.

fungo45
04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I've had this problem on my 03 EXT for a couple years (since I bought it). I searched the boards here then, and tried the Auto Vent Shades with limited success. I guess I just learned to deal with it since it only happens on the highway and then only when the wind hits it in the right way. But after a 5 hour trip a couple weekends ago and a 3 hour trip this weekend, I can no longer take it! It's definitely gotten worse. I was about to pull over and get some duct tape and tape the door shut. My better half didn't much like that idea. (By the way, this only happens on the passenger side).
Sitting in the passenger side for a bit, it's obvious to me that the issue is wind getting into the gap between the door and roof. That would explain why the vent shades did little to help. Sitting in the passenger side, you can actually see the top of the door move in and out with the wind.
There has got to be a way to bolster the weather stripping to prevent this from happening. I'm planning on taking this to the dealer, but am not expecting great results.
For those of you that did some home remedies, can you please give us more info so we can try it ourselves?
Thanks!

rodeo02
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
..For those of you that did some home remedies, can you please give us more info so we can try it ourselves?
Thanks!

It's right in the first post of this thread. A ton of owners now have 'adjusted' the window frame inward, allowing for the door to close tighter. Roll the winows down, open the doors, from the inside, yank the top of the window frame towards you with your knee against the door panel. If you are not comfortable DIY, have a body shop give them a tug for you. Between the door bending, a tube of black silicone sealer, vent-shades and me removing the roof rack cross rails, my wind noise went from an 8 to solid 4.:icon16: It doesn't bother me anymore. IMO, I think the truck is so quiet, you notice the wind noise more than what you would on a noisy econobox type car.

Joel

Joel

fungo45
04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
It's right in the first post of this thread.

Thanks - I forgot to mention that I've done that already.
I have not tried the silicone sealer, so that's my next step.

Godspeed I
04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I got vent shades for my 05. Still a little noisy, just turn the radio up louder :)

rodeo02
04-20-2007, 08:05 PM
I got vent shades for my 05. Still a little noisy, just turn the radio up louder :)

Funny. I don't really notice or pay attention to the noise anymore. I did also remove the roof rack cross rails quite a while ago. That may have helped a very little bit. Our van is getting noisier as it ages and racks up the miles. That's probably why the TB seems like a Caddy now.:iceslolan

Joel

fortcarp
04-22-2007, 12:12 AM
LOL I too had a Windstar. I really liked it, under powered tho for my taste. 2 trannys later, traded it in finally at 120k. The 3.8 was still going strong tho. As far as the door noise, my passenger seal still has noise, but only during a real strong cross wind, which is pretty much all the time here in Oklahoma. If one was to maually "adjust" the door fitament, like discussed previously, would there be any issues with the windows raising or lowering?

rodeo02
04-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Carp, you're not kidding about the wind in OK. Some years back I was checking in to a Holiday Inn in Tulsa on a business trip. My rental car and another was under the check-in canapy out front. Super windy out. The wind blew the "12 feet max height" marker off the ceiling of the canapy and smashed it through the back window of the car behind me! I'll never forget that. I was standing out there a minute before.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!