Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radar Detector

TheBenzon
04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
does anyone know how to build a radar detector to mount on the window of a model

daklunk
04-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Most are dash top, and really not huge compared to the rest of the interior items. I'm planning to build one for one of my builds, not sure which one though. Maybe a Valentine V1, or a Belltronics...

Anyway, I would take thick sheet styrene (.040 is the largest I've got) and glue pieces together until you have the desired thickness. Sand it to the shape you want, then get it really smooth with finer sanding. Take a super sharp pencil (you can get a needle sharp point by using sandpaper) and draw in the buttons and screen. Take a new #11 balde and carefully scribe in the details, don't go too deep or it will "ridge" around the line. Then paint it! (or cast a mold, as I do with most of my scratchbuilt stuff, then paint).

This is what I plan to do. Good luck!

MPWR
04-02-2006, 05:19 PM
In 1/24, the 'front' of the detector (where all the lights and switches are) are almost too small to bother with. You need a rectangulat chunk of plastic for the detector, the power cord, and a bracket for the dash- that's it. If you try to put in a bunch of tiny buttons and lights, it's going to overpower the detector itself. Paint the box dark grey/flat black, and the face gloss black, and that should do it.

daklunk
04-02-2006, 07:51 PM
I got one! Valentine V1, about 3.5 x 4.5 mm, I have the knob, LED arros, and screen, and that weird little shape that juts out the left side. In my post above, I was picturing these things as somewhat larger, hence the multiple styrene chunks and shaping. This took about 25 minutes (including painting) and looks pretty darn good if i do say so myslef. I will try to get a picture, but I don't think my ancient camera is up to the task of capturing the detail...

I've just been making a bunch of small stuff today: V1, iPod, head unit, turbo timer, APEX'i A/FR controller, laptop... Maybe I'll just build that kind of stuff!

daklunk
04-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Here she is:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/daklunk/Eclipse%20GSX/ValentineV1.jpg
The camera didn't hit all of the front detail, there are the arrows (not distinct though), a few lights, and the knob.

WRC_413X
04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
There you go. Now just add the wiring and its a finished piece.
Great job.

Add your comment to this topic!