Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i hate wires

85crxzc
04-02-2006, 10:20 AM
whats the easiest and best route to take when doing the wiring for the 89 d16a swap???

1=as in use the existing 85 si wiring and change and add wires as needed...
2=use the complete 88 89 wiring harness.. and if so do i need to use the fuse box? becuase ive heard something mentioned about the eld in it...
3=weed out an 88 89 engine management only and swap it in??

im confused on which way to go and not to mention i only got like a week to get it runnin b4 my car gets hauled off:disappoin

any ideas and info plz.... and thanks in advance

lxndr
04-02-2006, 10:06 PM
When I wired my car for an '88 D16A1, I used the stock CRX main wiring harness (from ECU to dash) along with a Teg engine harness, then supplemented the CRX wiring harness from the ECU to the main round engine connector with wiring from a donor Teg harness. I had to move some pins around on the CRX side of the main round engine connector, add a few wires at the ECU from the Teg donor harness, and splice a few wires, but this seemed easier than swapping the whole Teg harness.

Here's the wiring diagram that I used when I rewired my CRX: http://www.redpepperracing.com/technical/v/88Integra-FSM/88Teg-Wiring/aaj.pdf.html
Print it out, it will be your best friend!

Yes, the Teg fuse box does house the ELD. I wanted to keep my engine bay relatively clutter free so I pulled the ELD out of the Teg fuse box, wired it into the car and used the stock CRX fuse box. I'm sure it would have been easier to swap the whole Teg fuse box since it bolts right to the CRX firewall.

If you decide to just add wires to the CRX harness and use the Teg engine harness, watch out for the reverse light wires. This is something I overlooked since it didn't have anything to do with the engine and when I got the car running the oil light would come on everytime I shifted into reverse.

85crxzc
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
very helpfull advice... thats the best wire diagram ive seen... 1 last thing are u talkin bout the fuse box under the dash or that small fuse box in the engine bay on the strut tower??? thanks alot u really know ur stuff!!!

lxndr
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm referring to the main fuse box under the hood that is on the passenger side strut tower in a 1G CRX and on the firewall in a 1G Integra. The ELD is in the Teg main fuse box and you have to take to whole main fuse box apart in order to get to it. The ELD is a 1"x1.5"x 3" black rectangle (aproximately), and will have a metal bar running through it.

If you decide to go the route of removing the ELD you will need to splice it into the main wire that supplies power to the headlights, stereo, wipers and heater. You'll need to use a voltage meter to find out which wire this is, but it's one of the large (10 gauge?) white wires that runs through the firewall. I used a spare piece of the same gauge white wire to make a pigtail for the ELD. Basically the pigtail consisted of a 6" piece of wire (10 gauge?) with about 4" stripped off. Slip the bare wires through the ELD then use layers of shrinkwrap to cover the bare wires. Use solder or butt connectors to splice the ends to the main power wire mentioned earlier. Splice in the other 3 wires to the ELD and you're done! If I recall correctly the other 3 wires are the switched hot, ground, and ECU connections.

Add your comment to this topic!