Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hondata or Apexi vtec controller

projectgsr
03-31-2006, 04:02 PM
I want to upgrade my engine management. I have this urge to just buy a chip for my p72 ecu right away because it's cheap. But my question is that if I do buy one can I still run the chip (spoon or mugen) with a Vtec controller or Hondata? Or will I not even need a chip with one of those setups? Eventually I want to go turbo and upgrade to Hondata. Also can I use Apexi Controller with Hondata? I'm not too informed with engine management. Please somebody help. Thanks.

CivicSpoon
03-31-2006, 05:01 PM
What mods do you have, that you think you need to upgrade your engine management system? If you only have the mods in your sig (stock engine w/basic bolt-ons), you'll waste your $ by getting a chip or a vafc. Changing your vtec engagement points will cause you to lose power, Honda already set them to the optimum points. You might gain a hp or 2 at certian parts of your powerband, but you'll lose power on others. And you'll lose mpg as well. And Hondata can control vtec engagement points and controls fuel enrichment far better than a vafc, so don't run both. My best advice for you is to not do anything until you go turbo, and then get hondata.

AllmotorBB6
04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
stock motors can see gains from a real tune as well. it's not uncommon for stock motors to see 10whp from a "professional" tune. vafc is worthless IMO. what you could do tho is go to www.tunewithcrome.com and download the free tuning software. Find someone who knows how to tune hondata (crome can do just about anything hondata s200 can do, and most shops that tune hondata can tune crome) and let him tune your car. You'll spend 175 dollars tops to have a better running car, with more power and better "get up".

superbluecivicsi
04-15-2006, 11:30 PM
http://www.pgmfi.org/

Add your comment to this topic!