Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Engine?

aikiwaza
03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
My head gasket blew out on my engine (92 toyota paseo- auto tranny- all stock). Is it more cost efficent to get a new engine (current engine has 160000 + miles on it) The car itself is in okay shape (hood and fenders and dented a good bit but frame is still good) I don't have any experience with engine swaps and wanted to know if I should replace the head gasket, replace the engine, or scrap the car.

If I should replace the engine, I would prefer to upgrade (lots of Montana moutain driving that the little engine has trouble with) it a little to the 4efte engine (from a starlet) or something with more horsepower (maybe a recommendation?) but want as much of a "drop in" engine as possible. Is this possible (and cost effecient) to do without replacing axles, cams, tranny, or anything else? If I have to replace the tranny can I go to a manual without hassle? How much would it cost me and are there any other considerations I need to make before commiting to an engine swap?

I looked at the other forums and still had many questions... sorry for the repetitive questions. :)

I appreciate all help and input

rbuchanan65
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello, I am a Toyota tech. working for a toyota dealership. anyway I think it would be the cheapest way for you to just rebuild it. If it is not knocking that is if that happens good luck finding a crankshaft. after 4 months I am still looking. besides the money you would save in reparing the engine you have you can purchase upgrades to increase the HP.

jamesmetairie
08-13-2006, 04:46 PM
i ran my paseo hard and tore it up . instantly started smoking big time.i don,t know if it,s true but i heard you can,t do a valve job on a high mileage engine . the bottom part of the engine can,t handle it. i,m planning on buying a used engine from japan for about $500. total. i,ll order from the company in l.a. my local shady tree mechanic wants about $500. to install. if you want to switch to manual tranny,you,re best bet would be to find a paseo wreck in your local junk yard. be sure it runs good and you can visibily see the wreck. there,s clutch pedals ,etc that need to be had. you better have a good inexpensive shady tree mechanic. around here alot of latino,s drive and ship toyota,s to central america,so we have alot of toyota mechanic,s. good luck and keep us posted on the results.

paseofreak2007
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
My head gasket blew out on my engine (92 toyota paseo- auto tranny- all stock). Is it more cost efficent to get a new engine (current engine has 160000 + miles on it) The car itself is in okay shape (hood and fenders and dented a good bit but frame is still good) I don't have any experience with engine swaps and wanted to know if I should replace the head gasket, replace the engine, or scrap the car.

If I should replace the engine, I would prefer to upgrade (lots of Montana moutain driving that the little engine has trouble with) it a little to the 4efte engine (from a starlet) or something with more horsepower (maybe a recommendation?) but want as much of a "drop in" engine as possible. Is this possible (and cost effecient) to do without replacing axles, cams, tranny, or anything else? If I have to replace the tranny can I go to a manual without hassle? How much would it cost me and are there any other considerations I need to make before commiting to an engine swap?

I looked at the other forums and still had many questions... sorry for the repetitive questions. :)

I appreciate all help and input

I think it is probly easyest to just redo the head gasket. I had to do it on mine that i bought about 3 weeks ago now it runs just fine. They aren't to hard to do on that small of an engine. I was able to do most of it myself with little experiance in doing head gaskets. Good Luck!!:wink:

Add your comment to this topic!