Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no power at all, can't even put in neutral

miracletoo
03-31-2006, 01:03 PM
My 94 Camry will not even let me put it into neutral to push it to the auto repair place.

For a very long time I have had problems to start it because of some conflict with an old alarm system that is under the dash and according to the mechanic a terrible homemade installation. I would have to put my foot on the brake while putting it in neutral then do it again and put in park or sometimes not have to do anything at all and would start fine. I had been doing this for 2 years at least. Never a problem it always eventually started after a little jiggling (that is some background that might be relevant)

5 days ago, I got in and it was obvious the battery was dead. I thought I just left something on although I could not tell what. I got a boost went to the corner store and parked it. The following morning it was dead again.

At this point, I thought the battery was terminal and bought a new one. It was bigger then the one I had and I put in backwards so the terminals would reach the posts. I thought you could not have the negative and positive switched so I took the battery back and they gave me the size with the negative and positive placed so the cables would reach properly.

The car will not start. You put the key in and nothing I mean nothing turns on and I cannot even put in neutral. The 40-amp fuse (I think? had blown and was replaced.) it is in the box right next to the battery.

There is power in the battery and there is power going into everywhere according to the mechanic but he admits that he does not know about the alarm system and wants to take it out but cannot tell what wire goes from IT to the ignition.

So, that is the background. I would like to take the alarm system out since it gave me problems before but how do we even know that it is the problem. It is weird. The car is on strike. My car is my baby ..i know it back and forth and this is so not like it . …very radical behavior …maybe it’s pissed. LOL..it has never left me anywhere for a very long time anyways.

Nothing comes easy to me even changing a freaking battery. ...So any ideas for my mechanic who is really cool and is trying to help since I do not have hundreds of dollars to go to some wiring guy and will charge me 65 dollars just to diagnose the darn thing.

by the way ...thanks a bunch

Add your comment to this topic!