Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 tranny install

XFIREZ28
03-31-2006, 12:04 PM
1991 s10,2.8, 5 speed finally had to replace clutch at 297000. now tranny want go all the way in bout 1 1/2 - 2 in. shy. mite be splines not lined up or not hitting piliot bushing rite.what do yall think. any help would be lovely. thanks

eti engineer
04-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Get yourself a clutch alignment tool if you don't already have one. They make universal types. If that clutch disc is not centered with the pilot bearing recess, you will never get the thing back in. If you have trouble after this, check your guide pins, etc. Make sure all is lining up.

Did you trial fit the clutch disc on the tranny input shaft first to ensure it was the right one? I have seen clutches with different numbers of splines in the same type of vehicle, same year. Mid-year production changes...

One thing you should also do is make sure the clutch disc can move freely on the input shaft splines. It doesn't hurt to put a small amount of lubricant on the splines to ensure this, but not a lot. You don't want it spinning out into the clutch lining. If the disc cannot move freely on the splines, you will have a binding clutch.

Hope this helps..

eti engineer

XFIREZ28
04-02-2006, 09:14 AM
thanks eti, i will take it back down and start over!!!::banghead:

eti engineer
04-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Not a problem. This is the voice of experience speaking as I have done several of these and experienced about every problem you can think of. Another thing, make sure the clutch disc is facing the right way -- not 180 degrees out!! I helped a friend once who had installed his clutch disc backwards and it took a while to figure it out

Have a great one, whatever it is...

eti engineer

Add your comment to this topic!