Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing Ignition in my 1992 Cavalier

JDJ02
03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
I really need some instructions on changing out the key switch in my 92 cavalier.. any help out there.

muff34
03-31-2006, 09:48 AM
I think your best bet is to get a book,I looked at mine and it is rather detailed with pics and all.

AssDust
04-04-2006, 06:24 AM
someone tried to steal my 92 cavalier about 2 months ago, I actually have a post on here seeing if anyone could help me change it. But it was a little too hard for the tools I had, so I had to take it to a mechanic shop. Basically, that ignition is in two parts. The ignition cylinder and then the switch. There's the bolts, I dunno what their called, at the top that holds the ignition switch on. You have to drill those out, it comes apart in two pieces...its very complicated...

rmcracing
08-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I know the request is old and it the answer maybe somewhere else in the forums, but I have changed one out in a '94 Cavalier. The switch cost was way too high at a parts store, so I found one at a junkyard with the key in it. Basically, it's a huge pain. Remove the steering wheel, remove the instrument trim (it hides 2 screws in the steering column shroud), remove the steering column shroud. You can remove the actual switch by taking out the 3 or so small screws attaching the switch to the lock cylinder at the left side. If you need to remove the lock cylinder, there are two black cone shaped looking rivets at the top of the lock cylinder. These are actually screws, and not rivets. I have two methods for taking these out, since I had to do it twice, once at the junkyard, and once on my car. The first is to drill a hole in the top of the middle of the cone(it has a small flat portion) and use an easy out and unscrew it out. I had to do this with a hand drill at the junkyard, sweating profusely. The second was to use the twisted style of bolt extractor that is used to remove bolts with rounded off heads. Once you get one of them out replace it with a hex key bolt of the same size, then remove the last one. You have a delicate amount of grip and you dont want to make it harder with all the pressure on the screw your trying to get out.

91Z24
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I Dont Know about a 94 but Im sure they are all the same between 91 and 94. I have a 91 Z24 and Its not as difficult as Ive heard here so far.

Basically, the bolts are called "torx screws and you will need them in screwdriver form and not socket style as they will not fit into the stearing housing to remove.

1: Remove stearing wheel.

2: Remove torx screws from steering housing and remove housing.

3: Remove the torx screws from the signal swtitch and wiper switch located at the top of the .

4: Remove torx screws from the ignition switch located on the left side of the steering which attatch into the ignition lock (2 screws).

5: Remove torx screws from the top of the steering column (2 screws, slightly larger then the switch screws) and the ignition lock will drop into your lap.

Reverse for installation and your done.

The only thing im not sure is, the size of the torx bit screwdrivers needed. A small set from a tool store should be fine since they are common size torx screws.

I have had alot of experience with this procedure and it takes me about an hour total time. There is not drilling or tap needed whats so ever. I think the person who had to drill was taking more from the column than neccessary.

Hope this helps.:runaround::runaround:

michael2269
03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
i have mine installed in 91 cav but dont start i could start before it after taking it apart but could stat it with a screw driver but you have to hold the safty button button in .i bought the $230 ignition. i've been too lazy too start over. cause it wouldnt start after install.

Add your comment to this topic!