Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

any problems with police (the real ones)

brianbow
03-31-2006, 02:24 AM
How do real cops react to civilians driving a pi? any problems getting picked on? i have only had mine for a day now (white '00) and havent had any encounters yet.

fleettech
04-02-2006, 06:16 PM
I really don't think they care. its just another car but if you tried adding lights etc then youwould have some problems

Shick1988
04-02-2006, 10:57 PM
I got stopped the other day because I had my spotlight up, not on, just up. I asked the cop if they look at us CVPI drivers a little more closely, he said yeah just because of the sick pricks who prey on young girls with our cars. They give us all a bad name.

kanklez
04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
I havent had a single problem yet, I actually am glad i bought the car. I drive back and forth from tallahassee to Tampa which is about 260 miles each way EVERY weekend. I go about 95-100 MPH on I-75 passing state troopers in the median and they dont even go after me, they WAVE at me. Local cops do the exact same thing.

guchiew
04-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I got stopped the other day because I had my spotlight up, not on, just up. I asked the cop if they look at us CVPI drivers a little more closely, he said yeah just because of the sick pricks who prey on young girls with our cars. They give us all a bad name.

What did he say about the light? Are CVPI drivers not allowed to have them up?

On a side note, I wish that more girls knew to pull over somewhere safe. If/when I get a CVPI, I would want people to think that I'm a cop, just because I don't like people driving reckless around me. I'm afraid that people are going to think that I'm a rapist. :frown: I hope that rapists will stop using CV's and instead die slow, painful deaths (all of them, not just the CV drivers).

sweetal
04-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I havent had a single problem yet, I actually am glad i bought the car. I drive back and forth from tallahassee to Tampa which is about 260 miles each way EVERY weekend. I go about 95-100 MPH on I-75 passing state troopers in the median and they dont even go after me, they WAVE at me. Local cops do the exact same thing.

I have the same reaction from cops/troopers. Except I don't have a death wish by going 95-100!! What if Grandma pulls out in front of you in her '72 Nova going 50?? That would be ugly. :nono:

I find going 85 in 75 zone on our Turnpikes here in OK to be fast enough for me :grinyes:

Shick1988
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
He actually didn't state his problem with the light, instead asked me about all the other buttons I had on the dash (strobes in the front headlights). Those were in the car when I bought it. So I'm not really sure what his beef was. He let me go without any problems, maybe becasue it was my 18th birthday.

raiderman2k3
04-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I have an all black 02 CVPI ex-CHP with the pushbar, spotlights, LE hubcaps and several antennae purchased on Ebay from In-Pursuit. The majority of the time it seems that marked LE avoid me as much as possible on the freeway and on surface streets. They take the next off ramp or turn on a side street. Those that pull up next to me have waved and move on except for the Sheriff dept. that drive white CVs. As in other areas, there seems to be a rivalry between the City Police and the County Sheriffs.

Response from the general public has been overwhelming. People slow down and move over on the freeway, with kids waving to me and women giving me the thumbs up. Speeders slam on thier brakes, then act annoyed when they realize I'm not a cop and put the pedal to the metal to pull away. I've been offered half off at several fast food drive throughs, although I never accept them. In spite of the negative perception of cruising in an old cop car by some, this has been the funnest car I've ever driven.

As for the spotlights, I always keep them down when driving, and am very carefull when and where I use them to avoid attention. They are EXTREMELY bright similar to airplane landing lights. As with high intensity off road lights, they need to be covered while on the street, or in this case (spots in the down position).

Wheel7
04-13-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a 1996 LX, NOT a PI and it just happens to be white. The Police don't seem to give it any special attention, however...
People ask me if it is a used police car and Mechanics like to tell me the mechanical differences between the regular and police models. Parts houses seem to always ask me if I want the police type parts. One place wanted to sell me the police version of the curb/door light because thats what they had. One time I was asked to lend it for use as a police car prop in an outdoor drama of a crash scene. They put revolving lights bought at Wal-Mart on the roof.

It seems like I get a lot of static about it. Overheard in a parking lot: "looks like a @#$%^ highway patrol car to me". Sometimes I get worried looks from other motorists who must feel guilty about something. They will keep turning and looking at me instead of the road. When the Police still had cars with the 1996 body design, groups of cars would come speeding down the highway and suddenly slow down when they saw my car. The other day some kid did the "shooters pose", pointing his finger at me. I have caught neighborhood kids looking into the back seat area- the key fob alarm comes in handy then. When I was at the oil change place, the guy checking the tire pressure stepped back and looked at the rear door area and said "I knew there was something I hated about this car".

What's weird about all this is that a large number of the law enforcement cars in and around the KC metro area are dark blue, maroon, black, silver, beige, brown. So why do they react so much to a white car?

BTW one time I was turning left onto a highway entrance ramp and yielding to a police car. He gave me a look that seemed like he was saying "see if you can keep up with me". so I floored it. By the time I was 1/3 up the entrance ramp, he was already way down the highway.

wheel7

andyjs3589
04-16-2006, 08:59 AM
My friend(16 years old) dirves 99 cvpi and got pulled over at 3 in the morning for going 114 mph and didnt get a ticket, the cop just told him to slow down, so my other friends girlfriend asked told the story to a cop that she knew and the cop said that they usually dont give tickets to cvpi's.

BMFer1
04-16-2006, 02:03 PM
:rofl: :shakehead :uhoh: :naughty:

Silly whackers.

BiggWaukegan
04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
tell you right now that the story of the 16 year old is bullshit. cops will ticket any car that goes 114 at 3 in the morning. you kiddin me? now then, its not to say that you dont get special treatment. you always get to where your going faster, thats cause people move over to the right lane. its also good on long trips considering most highway patrol pigs will let you do a LITTLE OVER without sweating you. but 114 , yeah i doubt it kid.:nono: :nono:

cobradude360
04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
"patrol pigs" wow what a lack of respect i for one have no problem with the law enforsment and if they give you a ticket for speeding then there doin there job but dont call them pigs

brianbow
04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
My friend(16 years old) dirves 99 cvpi and got pulled over at 3 in the morning for going 114 mph and didnt get a ticket, the cop just told him to slow down, so my other friends girlfriend asked told the story to a cop that she knew and the cop said that they usually dont give tickets to cvpi's.

correct, they dont give people driving cvpi's tickets for doing 114 mph. they arrest them for reckless driving-excessive speed.

andyjs3589
04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
It is the truth, they called his dad and told him but he did not get a ticket, the cop even showed him the radar

jamesmetairie
05-27-2006, 01:44 PM
It is the truth, they called his dad and told him but he did not get a ticket, the cop even showed him the radarand elephants fly.

5.56x45mm
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Elephants do fly; quickly and efficiently.

~Blaze~
07-31-2006, 10:58 PM
I have definitly had a run of good luck since I started driving mine. I have hit the brakes many times and had the cop just wave...once I had a couple of state guys come up from behind and smile and act like they were going to race me....I didn't know if they were friendlies or not though, so I just smiled and blushed :)

Jexx
07-31-2006, 11:47 PM
A few cops wave (mostly motorcycle cops) and on the freeway, people generally drive better around me. My car is dark green ( I used to have a white one with a pushbar) and I still have people slowing down and putting on their seatbelts (plus I have the '03 model with the newer wheels). It's a great car that really shouldn't be thrown out of anyone's list of options just because of the way it is perceived by others, really. One of the few cars left that utilizes a frame instead of a unibody-type design and the rear-wheel drive is wonderful.

Bo1118
08-17-2006, 12:05 PM
I'v been driving mine for 1.5 years now, dark blue with the black rims, pushbar, 4 antennas on back trunk lid, strobes, wig-wags, led's in front windshield, arrowstick in back, led's on side of pushbar.... I do speed (not excessivly) and i havent had any trouble with the city,county or state... some of the detectives that see me regularly have quit waving,

I'v read Georgia state laws on lights,, from what i understand you can't get in trouble for having the lights, as long as you dont run up and down the highway with your strobes on and you'll be ok. :rolleyes:

TXFIVE-O
03-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I am a police officer in texas and old police cars are the car of choice for alot of thugs around my city. If i see a police car with no markings and no exempt tags then I find a reason to stop it.I have the same reaction from cops/troopers. Except I don't have a death wish by going 95-100!! What if Grandma pulls out in front of you in her '72 Nova going 50?? That would be ugly. :nono:

I find going 85 in 75 zone on our Turnpikes here in OK to be fast enough for me :grinyes:

Stale Trooper
03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
My solid white '99 CVPI is currently completely unmarked; no lights, no spotlights, no nothing. It does have the "Police Interceptor" badge on the rear, but that's all.

I built a phony arrowstick as part of my conversion, with red/blue's under it. I drove the car in a larger city, and you'd not believe the effect it had on traffiic!

I checked with the Kansas Highway Patrol, and was told that so long as I don't have funtional red or flashing lights mounted facing forward, and I don't place the words "STATE TROOPER" (hence my 'Handle') or "HIGHWAY PATROL" on a facimilie of their official door badge (OK with a mis-spelled or similar substitue word, and something different than the official state seal ), I will not be in violation of any local or State laws. I did explain that this was going to be a daily driver and weekend show car, and they seemed to not have any problem with it.

I have also been given surplus equipment by assorted agencies for this project. Most of it is non-functional, which suits me, but the siren I have is completely operable (needless to say, it won't be functional after installation).

I have a friend who had done several other CVPI's in a similar fashion, and didn't have any trouble either, of course, he drove like a sensible person.

Now, that said, If one is stupid enough to speed, or think he/she is invincable or invisible to LEO's just because he/she is driving a CVPI deserves a ticket just the same as if he/she was driving a '07 Mini-Van at the same speed!

97cv
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
a few sheriffs said I had a "nice car"
A few poeple will not pass me
A lot of people will move over when I am behind them.
And everyone asks if it has either the non-exsistent cop chip or how many people have I pulled over....they all wanna know how fast is it and where'd I get it

thought my avatar was 2 small to see well

http://img131.imagevenue.com/loc567/th_82234_three_qtr_122_567lo.JPG (http://img131.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=82234_three_qtr_122_567lo.JPG)

Stale Trooper
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I have the same reaction from cops/troopers. Except I don't have a death wish by going 95-100!! What if Grandma pulls out in front of you in her '72 Nova going 50?? That would be ugly. :nono:

I find going 85 in 75 zone on our Turnpikes here in OK to be fast enough for me :grinyes:Going 75 on an OK Turnpike is like driving a Corvair! They're unsafe at any speed!! :screwy: Take care Sweetal !!

pollenjesus
05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I have been driving a 2003 P71 for almost 3 years. I bought it in Sept 2004. I have a few stories to tell about the police, and the public.

I have been pulled over twice by the police. The first time I was pulled over by the provincial police. I was not speeding or doing anything to attract attention to myself. I was just driving to school. The officer who pulled me over asked me if I was a police officer. ( I'm 30yrs, 6'0 and weigh a muscular 205 lbs and was wearing a dark shirt-colour of police uniform). I said no...and then he asked me why I was driving around in a car that looked like a police car. He proceeded to threaten me that if I had any red flashing lights on the front of my car that he would arrest me.(technically he can't because it's not an arestable offense in Ontario). I said no and he took a good look at the front of my car to check. The officer came back to the window and told me that I had better tone down the car.

The second time I was pulled over it was by my local regional police for speeding. Which technically I was. Anyway... I was driving along a long country road when I came up to an intersection and had to stop. A police cruiser also had to stop at the intersection and almost didn't stop. He stopped and let me proceed and then promptly came up behind me to run my plates. After a minute or so he backed off and tried to pace me(use his spedo to tell how fast I'm going by keeping a constant distance). We drove for miles and miles with him pacing me doing around 90km/h in an 80km/h zone. Hek...that's pretty slow considering most people drive 100-120 km/h.
So I'm driving along and we come to another intersection. So now there is a car in front of me that is probably freaked because it looks like 2 police cruisers. The other driver doesn't go a smigen over the posted speed limit, and we all drive for miles and miles. I figure I should pass. So I wait for a nice stretch and put the hammer down to about 95 km/h and pass. Bad move...mr police man followed my pass and pulled me right over. I think he was just jealous that my car was nicer and faster than his. $75 speeding ticket.

I get mixed reviews from the public. It depends on where I am. There are someplaces around that despise the police...and so I get the finger. There are places where I get waved at by people on the street, or by other drivers...heck even other officers. I get people who drive extra careful, and then I get those who will do the most stupid things like race by me, or tailgate me really bad. I even had some young guys smoke a joint right in front of me in their car at an intersection when they saw I was not a police officer (to which I promptly called 911).

Latley I have modified my car so that it doesn't look as much like or sound like a police cruiser. The car is a lot of fun, and a pleasure to drive. I just wish that some people would not act like total idiots when they see me.

TVCustoms
05-16-2007, 08:26 PM
i definately agree with you on other drivers not pulling crazy stuff around me in my car(99 P71, white, dual spots). I drive a DHL van all day and its amazing what people will do just to get around me even when im speeding!

TVCustoms
05-16-2007, 08:29 PM
what do you mean you modified it to tone it down? you didnt put a pinsripe on it, did you?

TVCustoms
05-16-2007, 08:44 PM
every county sherrif waves at me (mine is 99 white, dual spots), state police in MI are not so nice, i look at them but they dont look at me, plus they drive blue ones, not white like the counties

pollenjesus
05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
what do you mean you modified it to tone it down? you didnt put a pinsripe on it, did you?

I haved changed the paint scheme on the car. The car was a fully marked provincial police car, and when I bought it was stripped of it's markings. It's all white. An all white car is exactly what the provincial police use for unmarked cars. So it went from looking like a police car, to still looking like a police car when I bought it...lol

I have painted the door mouldings black, the door pillar black, pinsptiped the bumper covers and hood. So physically I would say I have modified the car. It looks better than the police cruisers, and it's got a wicked exhaust system so it totally doesn't sound like a police cruiser.

I need to find some pictures of the changes I have done. Homework for me.

pollenjesus
05-16-2007, 09:56 PM
My girlfriend just reminded me of an adventure where the police actually thought I was the police.

I was driving home from school along a route that I always take and a police paddy wagon(prisoner transfer van) pulls up behind me. The wagon came up on me and then wanted to play bumper tag with me. I mean the paddy wagon was practically hitched to my back bumper. I drove slower to let them pass, and they would slow down. So I would drive faster and so they would drive faster. I eventyally had to pull over to let them pass, cause they were being really stupid..... I would consider it a bad experience with the police.

pollenjesus
05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Here is the a link at cardomain for my car. It shows the changes over the years with a bit of commentary. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/695734/6

TVCustoms
05-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Your car is sweet, although i dont know about the door bumper guards black. I like the Idea of the the B-pillar blacked out, may do that myself. As for the exaust, my 99 P71 has a custom 2 1/2" pipe from the cats back, then 3" fromk the rear axle out to the bumper, with a bend down at the end. Sounds like a mustang, a little deeper cause i got excelerator mufflers (like flowmaster). I just wish i knew what that high rpm whine was; im afraid to rev it, dont want to blow the motor, but it runs cherry otherwise.

pollenjesus
05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Hmmm.... My throttle started whisteling just after I upgraded my exhaust to 2 1/2". I asked a couple of mechanics and said it was not unusual, and probably is because of the increased air flow/speed through the throttle from the upgraded exhaust. Mine only whistles when in in 3rd, and overdrive with very light throttle.

Do you have a throttle spacer on your car? I have been reading that throttle spacers will create a whistle at wide open throttle. Tonight or tomorrow I will be putting a throttle spacer on my car from Air raid. I couldn't find for my exact modle so I got one for a 2003 mustang gt. Same engine right...?...lol

I'm hoping it will fit. From the info I have seen the throttle body for the mustang gt is the same as my vic- 60mm. oh yeah... MSD going on the car too for a better spark.

vicgameprpr2000
07-29-2007, 01:38 AM
I am a police officer in texas and old police cars are the car of choice for alot of thugs around my city. If i see a police car with no markings and no exempt tags then I find a reason to stop it.

the police where i live do the same thing and i think its really messed up. im young, black, and drive a black p71. i get pulled over all the time b/c the police think im a dope dealer. im not. i think its really wrong to profile someone based on color much less what they drive. i mean come on get a life and try investigating some murders or rapes instead of pulling over a vic b/c a black kids driving it!!!

IZ1111
09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
My CV has a CB antenna sticking out of the back end. It makes cops heads turn every time, (especialy motocyclist cop, easily noticable when heads turn). One time a cop stopped me and said to be carefull with my car, that I could seriously kill someone with it. Dont know why, but I think an undercover or maby detective cop was using this CV. Its dark blue. I'll get a pick for ya'll of the antenna.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8530/antennagl8.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!