Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Monogram Corvette ZR-1

Mikke
07-10-2002, 05:56 AM
Hello

More stupid questions from me:

Has anyone ever built this kit:'
http://www.kolumbus.fi/mika.hakala/zr1.jpg

I'd like to know how accurate it is - as it was issued before the ZR-1 came to market. The kit seems very detailed, but is it a real ZR-1 or just some prototype. I guess this is one for the Vette freaks ;)

TIA,
Mika

Hawk312
07-10-2002, 08:11 AM
I have built a few of those kits. When they first came out, you could get them in a double pack with an `89 GTA Anniversary edition, the two hottest cars that year. I feel old now.
Anyway, it had alot of detail, and seemed to be pretty accurate. The ZR-1 had fenders that were just a little wider than the regular `vettes, and the model represents this unlike AMT`s version. Also, the rear tires are much wider, and the kits tires are as well. The model`s overhead cam 32 valve engine looks just like the pictures of ZR-1`s in the magazines I have of that time. YOu will want to paint the plenum and valve covers flat aluminum though, as chrome wouldnt be accurate. This engine is unlike the L98 found in the normal Corvette, which is a standard pushrod V-8, so Monogram took some time to get the engine right and not just throw in the engine from the regular vette kit.
You will want to "mock up" the rear suspension before glueing. I had trouble fitting everything under the fenders in all the kits I built. Have fun. I thought it was a great kit and the proportions look just right! :alien2: :frog: :D :) :p

Mikke
07-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks! Now I'm happy that I got this kit :D

I actually got it as a double-pack with Buick GNX - paid $12 on eBay :D
I think that was a pretty good deal.

Hawk312
07-10-2002, 01:14 PM
I actually got it as a double-pack with Buick GNX - paid $12 on eBay
Yeah, I think you got a good deal especially if they are still in the plastic. The GNX is a good model, and looks proportionate too. I think alot of people don`t know how quick those real cars are (GNX). At the track, nearly stock ones will keep up with my Firehawk and newer `vettes.

Add your comment to this topic!