Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Rodeo stalling when decreasing to low speeds

jeepndanes
03-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Well, the old Rodeo isn't what she used to be. The fuel sending unit is out (will be replaced this weekend), the rear lift gate is squeaking like crazy (no idea why), and the EGR needs a serious cleaning. The latest problem has been stalling. It has been stalling when I slow to either go around a tight turn or stop at a toll booth. It has only happened about five times, but it could be dangerous. Everything is progressing normally, and the engine simply dies. The rest of the vehicle still has power, but the engine stops. I haven't noticed a pattern in the occurances other than slowing down.

Do you folks out there have any ideas?

Mirock
03-30-2006, 09:42 AM
As far as stalling problem it might be related to bad fuel sending unit ,do you have a CEL on, how many miles on it ,when it was tuned up?.About a squeekie tail glass ,i used to have the same problem ,(it was driving me nuts )In my case it was a loose latching rod on a tail glass it is a thing that latches in to a lock in a tail gate it is held by 2 philips head screws with a rubber washers mine were loose,the whole thing was moving creating a squeeking noise. Hope this will help.

mapua82
03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Had the same problem before the IMG was replaced.

jeepndanes
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
IMG? What's that?

Mirock
03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
IMG= Intake Manifold Gasket

2eyefishclaw
03-31-2006, 07:09 PM
bad fuel sending unit will not cause a die out
a fuel pump on its way out can cause this but its not very likely that this is the problem.
open the hood start the vehicle on the drivers side there is a harness that runs from under the P/S resivoir and goes up along the side of the intake manifold remove the bolt that secures the harness to the drivers side valve cover gasket grab a hold of the harness pull twist and tug on it to see if the engine stalls if it does there is a problem in that harness E-mail me if that is the case I will tell you how to find and repair it or them. BDAIGLEUS@COX.NET

jeepndanes
04-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I got a few suggestions on the board here and via PM.

I checked the IMG by spraying carb cleaner at it... no increase in idle. The electrical connections are all tight and harnesses are fine.

Someone recommended an o-ring on a fuel check valve... I am not sure what that is, neither is the dealership in town. Can anyone expand on this?

I was going to change out my IMG and injector o-rings, but am not certain that is really the problem now...

Ideas?

stanger42
04-16-2006, 12:40 AM
i had what sounds like a similar problem in my 94. I replaced the fuel filter and that fixed the problem. (the thing was pretty gunked up)

Add your comment to this topic!