Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problems to watch out for when buying a e30?

dvs909
03-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey fellas, this is my first time on the forums, but since its so huge, i figured somebody on here should know what their talking about.

Anyways, i am looking into purchasing a 88-90 BMW M3, and am wondering what problem areas i should look out for. Right now all i know is to watch for track use, other than that im clueless. (not literally, i know cars, just not the problem areas of this model)

Thank you in advance for your time, and if i placed this incorrectly please let me know.

01L2Cobra
03-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Don’t let the fact that it’s been tracked sway you in any way. The M3 is designed to be driven like that. They make excellent track cars and can still be daily driven. The early E46 M3 that one is kind of iffy on track uses since there were problems with the engine. Just have a good shop check it out before you do anything. Mine had been to a few SCCA events and yet it was in better shape than most that just see the street.

guchiew
04-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Definately have a mechanic look at it before you buy it.
Problems common with E30 M3's include:
Speedo/tach malfunction
Sunroof leak (almost given) which can lead to rust in the floorboards, the trunk, and anywhere else the piping runs through.
Oil pan baffle is a must to have, although you can't really tell if it has it until you remove the oil pan.

I'm sure that there are more that I'm forgeting.
Good luck

guchiew
05-19-2006, 04:57 PM
The rear spoiler is a breeding ground for rock chips.
I'm still trying to remember more things, but it's been a while.

guchiew
05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Oh, the fuse for the reverse lights tend to go (not a big problem).

BMW320i
08-19-2006, 03:37 AM
My e30 had a massive oil leak from the pan gasket. It leaked in the rear and looked like a Rear main seal. Also the rear sub-frame bushings were bad on my car. This is like a $400 fix at a shop. They are right in front of the rear axle on hte outside of the frame. There is a big nut on the bottom of it.

Add your comment to this topic!