Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil psi down due to fuel in oil! Why?

LeSabre97mint
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Hello

My 97's oil psi was showing below 40 while driving! It's normally above 40. I thought that it just needed the 10w40 summer oil. When I drained it last night it smelled like I just drained the gas tank!

I'm also getting around 21-23 mpg. I'm thinking that I may have fuel injectors that leak fuel out when the engine isn't running and it's draining into the oil.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I will try fuel injector cleaner.

Regards

Dan

stuzman
03-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Hello

My 97's oil psi was showing below 40 while driving! It's normally above 40. I thought that it just needed the 10w40 summer oil. When I drained it last night it smelled like I just drained the gas tank!

I'm also getting around 21-23 mpg. I'm thinking that I may have fuel injectors that leak fuel out when the engine isn't running and it's draining into the oil.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I will try fuel injector cleaner.

Regards

Dan

Also check the fuel pressure regulator to see if the diaphragm isn't split. You can check by taking a look at the vacuum hose attached to it and see if there is any fuel there. Regulator could still be bad by having too much fuel pressure...

LeSabre97mint
03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks Stuzman...I'll check that out.

Regards

Dan

imidazol97
03-31-2006, 07:23 AM
You might want to change out that oil that's diluted with fuel right away. That's wearing your metal parts fast. If you do it yourself,.... if it was me I'd change it today to save wear on the engine parts.

LeSabre97mint
04-06-2006, 09:20 PM
You might want to change out that oil that's diluted with fuel right away. That's wearing your metal parts fast. If you do it yourself,.... if it was me I'd change it today to save wear on the engine parts.

Good advice!

Dan

LeSabre97mint
04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Also check the fuel pressure regulator to see if the diaphragm isn't split. You can check by taking a look at the vacuum hose attached to it and see if there is any fuel there. Regulator could still be bad by having too much fuel pressure...

Stuzman

I checked the fuel psi and it was in range. I left the gauge on for a while with the engine off and the psi held.

I also checked the fuel psi reg. and the vacuum held as long as I keeped the gauge on.

What else could be causing this much fuel to be getting into my oil?

(just to clearify....I have changed out the bad oil)

Regards

Dan

pcmos
04-11-2006, 02:35 PM
My 2000 runs below 40 at times, always has, typically when I'm sitting in traffic with no A/C, the engine idles a bit slower. I mean maybe I'm really missing something here but I've done oil changes on a lot of different cars, a number of times. The oil usually has a pretty strong fuel smell in my experience. I don't have the training to know what is a normal amount of fuel odor and what isn't, perhaps if there is a trained mechanic on here he could fill us in. My fuel economy seems fine, I run about 22/23 on surface streets and about 29 or so on the highway. I would rate the fuel odor of my oil on a typical change to be very strong, but I wouldn't say it smells any different from oil changes I've performed on other vehicles.

LeSabre97mint
04-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Pcmos

Thanks for your input! I don't think I've ever smelled this much gas in oil! My wife even complained of the strong smell when I came into the house!

I guess I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Regards

Dan

stuzman
04-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Stuzman

I checked the fuel psi and it was in range. I left the gauge on for a while with the engine off and the psi held.

I also checked the fuel psi reg. and the vacuum held as long as I keeped the gauge on.

What else could be causing this much fuel to be getting into my oil?

(just to clearify....I have changed out the bad oil)

Regards

Dan

The only thing left that I can think of would be a leaky injector(s). However, since you kept the fuel pressure gauge on and it didn't drop, your injectors seems to be holding. Maybe, it's an intermittent problem with the injector(s). At this point, I would get some cleaner/fuel injector cleaner and run it in the tank and hopefully that will take care of your problem.

LeSabre97mint
04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I've been thinking about cleaning the injectors anyway.

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!