Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AEM CAI install problem......

xpel
07-09-2002, 02:23 PM
Hello

I just installed my AEM CAI and it worked fine..until the next day when i installed my performance exhaust...then suddenly at 2500 RPM i get these idle noises/jerks...i already reset my ECU by removing the fuse and i also did it by removing battery...does anyone have an idea what is happening???..i feel the car is slagging but i have NGK spark plugs (new) and also i have use some injector cleaner..but still the same problem...

Also is there a link with AEM CAI installation for Accord 94/95 with pictures here??

VTECseoul
07-10-2002, 05:37 AM
"you have a hole in your fuel map..." - sorry, F&F joke

try pulling the fuse again - leave off for 30 mins. then start motor again & let idle for 10 mins & drive away. it's known that the RAM chips can hold info for as long as 12 hours. i work w/ techs all day - i listen.

xpel
07-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I pulled the fuse out but i'm still having the same problem....it's just a low chuggging noise at low rpms..i think i remember a couple of people having this problem...

tenguzero
07-11-2002, 01:42 AM
Is it affecting your performance? Or is it just a low chugging/buzzing noise? I have a 94 Accord EX as well. And at almost exactly 1800rpm (usually when I shift from 1st to 2nd) I get a hollow buzzing noise for a split second. I've done LOADS of research on it. My suggestion? Go through your entire exhaust setup from the engine back. Check for any loose fittings/ clamps. A relatively well documented problem with (especially 5th gen) accords exists in the fittings used with the exhaust system, something about their being ill fitting or made of material more prone to vibration. However I can't seem to find any definate answer about what to do. Some say just tighten up everything under there, others say that the fittings themselves need to be replaced with what is called a "buzz kit" Maybe in installing your exhaust setup you might have jarred something enough so as to bring about this problem?

xpel
07-13-2002, 07:44 AM
So where can i find this buzz kit?...every mechanic has been guessing, one said it was the distibutor, another said it was the fuel filter...and another suggested to go tighten or check the exhaust.....

I know this is a common problem with fifth Gen's so please guys help me out

Thanks

tenguzero
07-13-2002, 05:19 PM
I think you should concentrate on your exhaust, as was suggested, get down under there and check to make sure everything is nice and snug. I couldn't tell you what parts to check though, as I have been to lazy to get under mine and take a look around. You have to take the same view about the car's problem as one would take when working with a computer and a problem develops. First thing to do is look at what was done right before the incident developed. --> 1. Car was working fine 2. Installed CAI, car continued to operate without a problem. 3. Installed exhaust setup, suddenly car no longer works correctly... :eek:
There's your problem, the exhaust setup. Why would it be your distributor or fuel filter? Nothing was done to them, right? Go through your work with the exhaust, maybe bring it to a mechanic to be double checked? As far as the buzz kit, I haven't really looked into where to get it, since I want to try the easier (and free) method of checking all the fittings on my exhaust first. You might want to call your authorized Honda dealership/service center and ask them if they've had any reports of the problem with the buzzing noise. Here's a couple links I'd included in a post last month about this issue.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2001/January/09.html

http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2001/20010312b.html

Good luck :)

xtr3m
08-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Hello,

I am having the same problem you mentioned and it is causing me to fail emmisions in my state. My Accord no matter what gear just holding the accelerator steady the car misses and chugs. I have replaced just about everything I can to get this thing to pass emissions. I have purhased a brand new NTK O2 Sensor had fuel injectors proffesionally cleaned Several tune ups with diff spark plugs everytime (Stick with NGK). Now I purchased a Repair manual for 94-97 Accords and it says the reason for the chugging or surging is due to:

A. Intake Air Leak
B. Fuel Pump Faulty
C. Loose Fuel Injector Wire Harness connectors
D. Defective ECU or Sensor.

I have banged my head up against the wall trying to get this damn thing to pass emmisions and I am about fed up with it. I have talked to AEM Techies and they say that it is nothing to do with the CAI because the CAI is C.A.R.B exempt and does not affect emmisions. I am beginning to think otherwise. Also the AEM Tech said to look at my Throttle body, PVC Valve, and something else which in his opinion have everything to do with our problem. He said if that doesn't work he suggests replacing the CAI with the stock airbox (which I don't have and you probably don't either) Now if thier techie said to put back on your stock airbox does that not sound like it is a problem due to thier CAI? Also this problem did not happen until after I installed the CAI and the exhaust was put on today and you can definately hear the engine surging.
If anyone has any Idea what to do so that I do not have to pay the local honda dealer an arm and a leg to get another stock airbox please post something... Thx Alot Xtr3m in GA

Accord Type R
08-02-2002, 12:57 PM
i remember i had that same problem before.....i think i was running the rubber tube directly from the intake to the vlave cover. We ran the O2 sensor tube through the acctual o2 sensor pipe and then to the valve cover....i'm pretty sure that was it...if not, i still have a stock air box if you need one.....GOOD LUCK!

xtr3m
08-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Accord Type R,

What hose did you take and run through the O2 sensor pipe and how did you do it. It sounds interesting and I could just give it a try. Anyways more info would help.

Thx again XTR3M in GA

ShockJon
08-11-2002, 01:12 AM
I have a 93 accord and when the motor is cold if I don't let it warm up first it makes a terrible rattle buzz sound.... Do you know what it is??? It is the CAT when the cat is cold they cometimes make funny sounds with the gasses running through them... I ask a mechanic about the noise one when someone else drove the car away and we heard it I was like "what the crap is that I have been trying to figure it out for months" He said Its the CAT let the car warm up a touch first the drive and see if does it.... And sure enough it works!!!

strodda
08-11-2002, 01:28 AM
well im not sure about different years, but on mine i had to plug up a hole on the pgmfi, and stick a little filter on the air boost valve. and as for the hose to the valve cover, it should go directly from the intake. thats what lets your case breathe(such as when people put on crank case breathers... although illegal). it probably isnt either of those things, but just hoping for your sake it was something simple.
and maybe im confused, but i still dont understand why aem intakes are legal and other arent. they all look the same to me.

xpel
08-11-2002, 03:42 PM
I am so depressed right now....i can't believe that after having 3 Accords including an original JDM Acclimatized version overseas..my 94 has suddenly given me a reason to want to go to the dealership aand jump boat...now i may have to pick up a 2000 328Ci or 2002 Audi A4.

The idle noise is still there and it's just terrible....i have spent so much money troubleshooting and nothing still works...i replaced the Plug wires, distributor cap and rotors. I went for a full wheel balancing, i had alignment done again, i changed my transmission.:( Ihave bought numerous sets of NGK plugs..i removed my aftermarket exhaust and put in stock..i rechecked the vacuum hose setup...i'm just tired and pissed and think it's time to move on to the German league

Please can someone with a 94-97 send or post step by step picsa of how to install the AEM intake with a detailed discription of how to connect each vacuum hose..i would really apreciate that

Thanks...and these might be my last days here... :(

tenguzero
08-11-2002, 11:40 PM
Good luck with your problem, don't let it deter you from the path of the "H" though! Keep in mind, while Honda parts can be pricey, German vehicles can really cost you in labor if you have to pay for any repairs. As far as the CAI, I've been considering picking one up, but have recently decided to hold off on it, since nobody seems to have definative instructions on how to install and hook up the tubing for one on a 94-95, and I refuse to deal with any directions that don't address my model explicitly, especially when it comes to tampering with my engine's breathing/emissions. And I can't afford ANY repairs right now. :mad:

strodda
08-12-2002, 12:47 AM
mine didnt come with specific instructions either. but its simple. the hose that goes from the air control valve back to the throttle body, take that off and cap the open end on the TB. then take off the hose going from the intake across the back to the air boost valve. cap the valve with the foam cap or any piece of foam from a crafts store.

xpel
09-04-2002, 08:33 PM
Strodda??

Could you explain better???.....any pictures or links???

strodda
09-05-2002, 12:36 AM
sure, here ya go
http://shane@shane.qubilent.com/images/pgm-fi_capped.jpg
the right came from the stock intake tube. there was a small metal tube coming out the top of it.

the left cap was originally from a black valve(egr or something like that), looks like this
http://shane@shane.qubilent.com/images/intake1.JPG

im not sure if changing the intake and capping those two openings had anything to do with it, but now i dont seem to have a rev limit. before when i got around 5k in 3rd gear it would jerk and kind of cut off. now i can goto redline all the way through.

xtr3m
11-30-2002, 11:48 PM
REFER TO MY NEW POST!!!!!!!!1

"READ IF YOU OWN A 94-97 ACCORD"

Add your comment to this topic!