Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What does it take to open a drag strip?

sl1cksNsk1n1es
03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
i have always wanted to open my own drag strip since i was a kid. i have recently come across some money and i was hoping to open one... PLEASE HELP if you know any of the processes, or fees involved in building a NHRA approved drag strip

Does anyone know what it takes to get a thing like this started?

drdisque
03-27-2006, 09:58 PM
I think the minimum to build a decently modern facility would be about $1million

to build a good facility would probably run closer to $2-2.5 million.

I suggest IHRA sactioning rather than NHRA, they tend to be more friendly to smaller tracks and its easier to get a regional or national event.

You also need to get permits from the city/county and a flat plat of land that's at least half a mile long by 300-400 yards wide with paved roads leading to it.

I think the first step would be to locate a potential site, inquire if its for sale, and then contact the city/county zoning agency to determine if it would be feasible to build the facility there.

1986Z28
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah it costs alot of moeny to build it and keep it maintained, 1 million + at least

Doorslammer
04-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Depending on where you live,, get the local government to build it. Then offer to lease it from them. Other wise, locate the land. Then contact a sanctioning body. They will (should) help you from there. Good Luck!! We need more drag strips.

AWP9521
04-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Also check the local governments for noise ordinances, it might not be beneficial to you if they have them, also get the blessing of all the neighbors with in a 1 mile radius of the proposed facility, ain't no sense trying to build a drag strip if all the residents around it are going to fight you because of the noise.

Like what happened in my area, a group decided to build a strip and bought the land and started building, then all the neighbors around the place pitched in, got a lawyer, had town meetings, court dates and all that crap, until finally they got a court order halting the tracks progress, I think it's still tied up in the courts and it's been over 6 years now, got enough money to pay for the lawyers you will need if you get into a fight too?

-Jayson-
05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
look for an old abandonded airstrip

Chiquae07
05-16-2006, 09:16 PM
^^^perfect for a street drag strip...just like F&F, but legal. this isn't a bad thing, but f&f was....except for a years worth of laughs...

Add your comment to this topic!