Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Rodeo Transmission fluid/filter change.

blueorb
03-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Hello all. New guy with my first post.
I have 1996 Isuzu Rodeo, 3.2 V6 4x4. I am in the process of performing a tune up on the truck and I ran into a problem when I started the transmission fluid.
1) Where is the transmission fluid dipstick?
I read on another forum that there is no fluid dipstick. Someone stated
that the Rodeo's transmission is a "closed" unit that has to be taken to
the dealer to be serviced. Is that the case?
2) Is it possible for me to change the transmission fluid/filter myself? When I
was under the truck yesterday I noticed that there were two "pans" (or
at least what looked like pans). One was a rectangular looking one
(running from front to back in it's layout). The other pan had a drain plug
and is more boxy looking.
Is the boxy one with the drain plug the transmission fluid pan? Can I
drain it, then drop it and then replace the filter from there?
3) I read in another thread that the Rodeo does not have spark plug
wires??? Can someone explain how that is possible? So, I only need to
buy the plugs?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded questions.

anthonyn
03-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Your truck does not have a transmission dipstick. You can drain and refill the
ATF from the drain plug you mentioned. Drain/refill method will not remove all the fluid unless you do it multiple times. You can take it to a shop to do a T-tech flush which will replace pretty much all the fluid. Dropping the transmission pan may not be as easy as you may envision due to clearance problems, but your success will depend on your mechanical abilities and tools.

Your vehicle DOES have sparkplug wires. It doesn't have a distributor.

blueorb
03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Your truck does not have a transmission dipstick. You can drain and refill the
ATF from the drain plug you mentioned. Drain/refill method will not remove all the fluid unless you do it multiple times. You can take it to a shop to do a T-tech flush which will replace pretty much all the fluid. Dropping the transmission pan may not be as easy as you may envision due to clearance problems, but your success will depend on your mechanical abilities and tools.

Your vehicle DOES have sparkplug wires. It doesn't have a distributor.

Thank you for the response.

So the transmission pan is the larger one with the drain plug in it? I just want to be sure. Also, did you mean to say that you refill it via the same drain plug hole? That can't be right. You can't refill from a hole that opens on the bottom of the pan. Is there another plug hole higher up somewhere?

anthonyn
03-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the response.

So the transmission pan is the larger one with the drain plug in it? I just want to be sure. Also, did you mean to say that you refill it via the same drain plug hole? That can't be right. You can't refill from a hole that opens on the bottom of the pan. Is there another plug hole higher up somewhere?

Yeah the larger pan is the correct one. There is a fill plug and a drain plug. Always open the fill plug first. Imagine what would happen if you couldn't get the fill plug off, after draining out the fluid :)

blueorb
03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah the larger pan is the correct one. There is a fill plug and a drain plug. Always open the fill plug first. Imagine what would happen if you couldn't get the fill plug off, after draining out the fluid :)

Very good point. Honestly, I doubt I would of thought of that.

One more question dude. Is the fill plug in close proximity to the pan? Like right above it, to the side, etc. Just want a general idea of where to look.

Thanks again for your help.

anthonyn
03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Is the fill plug in close proximity to the pan? Like right above it, to the side, etc. Just want a general idea of where to look.

Thanks again for your help.

Yeah the fill plug is a few inches away from the drain plug and located higher up. Notice how the transmission pan is not perfectly rectangular, like one corner has a notch cut out - that's where the fill plug resides. You just add ATF into the fill hole until it starts coming back out. You need to use a syringe, turkey baster or similar instrument to get the fluid into the hole.

You really should get yourself a haynes manual before doing any work on your vehicle. Its cheap insurance.

surferfletch
03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Glad to see you went here for help with the tranny fluid changeout. I, on the other hand, took it to the shop half way through my first attempt! I didn't have my Haynes manual, didn't know about this board, and emptied the tranny figuring there would be a dipstick and fill tube under the hood. What a surprise! Free tow, but $45 to refill it. I went out and got the Haynes manual that day.

The other smaller pan is for the torque converter, I think. I've been thinking about dropping that pan the next time, too, and getting whatever sludge I can out of it.

The filter and gasket are easy to replace. Don't forget to clean off the magnet at the bottom of the pan.

The distributorless ignition system is nice. No cap or rotor to changeout every 10K. Just plugs and, rarely, wires. Good luck!

blueorb
03-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks again! Help is very much appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!