Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4G engine swap??

Sleepr awd
03-26-2006, 11:49 PM
for search purposes

3.8 , 3.8l Mivec , 4g engine , 4g motor , Engine swap , 6g75 , Eclipse GT swap

Anyways, i've hit a brick wall as per finding information on the feasibility of this swap :banghead: . can't find anything anywhere, some of you guys kno the other 3g sites, or even the .org site which i can't access. is the 4g GT engine swap / trans swap possible on a 3g GT. as in, will it fit with nothing more than a hood and mounts possibly, with no loss of PS, A/C etc.

I can have a suspension made at the university i believe by engineering guyss for not very much since they have the machinery and means to do it.

overall i'm just sick of the 6g72 cali being the lamest motor EVER!!!

*RANT*

This also means, i'm not doing ANYTHING else to my car until i get something w/ balls on it. 144 whp is not something i want (mustang dyno) and it greatly disappointed me.:banghead: :banghead: :crying: :crying: :crying:

I've searched all over C3g.com for information, and it is almost pointless, i couldn't find a damn thing relevant to the swap, the only one semi-related turned out to be , this and this swap work, this and this swap don't, nothing related to the 6g75.

I realize, it will be at least 1 year before the swap becomes part way feasible based on it being so new. Also custom parts are a must for this thing. I can't imagine the actual swapping and putting everything back together appropriately will take anything short of a year based on how much time i have over weekends and how much money i make.

Anyways, thanks everyone.

evil6remlin
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I would check out a 4G forum and see what they're doing as far as modding the 4G engine. Cause swapping out an engine unfriendly to mods for another engine unfriendly to mods is kinda pointless. But seriously, if you're sick of the 6G72 I would either go some sort of FI if you want more power or just sell it and get a car more mod friendly. My turbo project has put me through HELL and back and its still not done and I'm thinking hard about selling the damn thing and getting an rx7 or a dsm or something.

Sleepr awd
03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
well i'm planning on purchasing an AWD dsm or Gvr-4 by the end of summer, so i'll be covered there

i thought RRE got some good numbers out of the new engine though, I'd rather not FI this car unless i have to. I just want something a little bit more sleeper than stock... stock isn't very sleeper

I'll go check out those forums, i imagine i could expect 13's w/ a direct swap (stock i/h/e) since the weight reduction would drop me hopefully .5 sec. and hopefully i can drive better than the car and driver cats that ran a 14.4 on that car. I imagine mid-low 13's are possible w/ a lsd i/h/e and a tune

not really concerned w/ much past that, since 3g's aren't really known for breaking out of the 15's w/o nitrous or boost, i imagine i could hustle a few guys before they got wise to the swap and it would hopefully be more fun to drive in a straight line (might have to work on suspension/weight transfer for handling)

OH yeah just checked the numbers on a stock mivec 3.8 dyno and it was 247whp on a dynojet, which is roughly a 70whp increase over the 6g72 engine w/ the dynodynamics/dynojet conversion.

did i mention that the .org retards run one of the new 4g sites as well?

eclipsed4utoo
03-28-2006, 08:52 AM
i don't think its possible without modifications. the 3.8l engine is substantially bigger than that 3.0l. you will probably have to make modifications to the firewall to make the rear of the engine fit.

Sleepr awd
03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
i don't think its possible without modifications. the 3.8l engine is substantially bigger than that 3.0l. you will probably have to make modifications to the firewall to make the rear of the engine fit.

i really hope you are wrong on this one, if you are, i'll invite you over and we can do your car as well :icon16:

if your not, well i'll prolly end up back at stock and drop all the money into the dd

rodbls
03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Have you even found a 4G V6 engine for sale anywhere yet? I have looked and havent seen shit on it, so I dont even know if you would be able to find a motor anywhere, If a swap is possible. And from HP numbers and whatnot, the motor looks like it is tuned about the same as ours is...so aside from gettin an extra 60 or so HP, you are also adding .5 liter to the motor in weight. IDK...tough call. Then again, ive got a Fed Spec, so Im happy with my motor...other than it being a lot harder to find parts for it than Cali spec.

Sleepr awd
03-28-2006, 11:21 PM
yeah, boo fed-specs, i got the short end of the stick!!

as for finding them, i can't imagine there will be ANY for a couple years since we have to wait for people to flip them before we can get them!!

anyways the dealership would have everything available for over 12k $$ worth most likely

eclipsed4utoo
03-29-2006, 08:49 AM
yeah, boo fed-specs, i got the short end of the stick!!

as for finding them, i can't imagine there will be ANY for a couple years since we have to wait for people to flip them before we can get them!!

anyways the dealership would have everything available for over 12k $$ worth most likely

so are you going to try the swap?

Sleepr awd
03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Not this year prolly, but yeah within a couple years or so, gotta get everything else squared away first. and i'll have to find a nice rolled 4g w/ an in-tact engine/trans setup...

might take me a bit

808drifter
03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
just 1 question
Why do you want somthing that big and heavy in a car that already has terrible understeer

Sleepr awd
03-29-2006, 07:50 PM
just to say i did it, not terribly concerned with handling since this car was never meant to handle in the first place, i decided i'd play to it's strengths which isn't necessarily straight line acceleration, but it can easily become that. I don't want the car to become a one-way wonder though.

the weight increase isn't a very large amount anyways i heard 50lbs maybe over the stock 6g72. I'm going to try to re-lose that weight by going w/ a lighter wheel as well, gramlites, traklites, something like those so that the weight difference will hardly be noticeable except in it's distribution.

Do you have any suggestions for tightening up the front so that the understeer isn't so great? Or do you think that the car will become a pain in the ass to drive as a whole? What would you suggest as far as solving the understeering problem? Add weight to the rear of the car? D3 Chassis stiffening kit? I definitely don't want to mess this car up for the worse, so i want to kno what you think i should do to make everything right. you do seem to be the track racing 3g expert on this site. Mostly i want to retain a slightly modified over stock driveability

I'd really like to work on pioneering this part of the swap possibilities, i've got some friends that are willing to support it, and i think it can be done. like anything though it is going to take some time and money.

i do realize i am going to need aftermarket shocks and springs that are designed to hold the extra weight, most likely i'll need 3g springs in back and 4g springs modified to fit on the front. I can see my stock shocks blowing within a week of dropping the motor in.

drdisque
03-30-2006, 02:37 PM
to dial out some understeer you'd want a thicker rear sway bar and poly bushings back there and preferably also a rear strut tower brace.

musickys88
12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
can i take my 6G72 motor from a 1999 mitsubishi galant and swap it into a 3000gt/dodge stealth

808drifter
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
way to bring back to ancient dead.]

ASS!

Sleepr awd
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
to answer his question.

NO

808drifter
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
sry on the other comp i was on the i and the can are switched (IDK WTF)

Add your comment to this topic!