Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advice Please; I did the EGR clean(let me know if I did right) + O2 Sensor.CEL!!!!

legend1011
03-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Okay,

I have a 1998 Honda Passport EX with 146,xxx miles on it. I am the second owner and purchased the vehicle back in July of 2005.

This is a my first vehicle that I have attempted to and thought about doing alot of the work on myself. I got an Check Engine Light (CEL) about two months ago, but did not resolve what it was until I found this forum. Thanks to advice from many on here I found out that I could go to Autozone and check the code out. Fortunately they were able to help, but the bad news was I had a series of codes (5!). The Codes that I received are the following:

1) P0153 O2 Sensor Slow Response, Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Driver side before Catalytic converter.
2) P1153 Fuel Air Metering
3) P0402 EGR Flow Excessive
4) P1404 Aux Emissions Control
5) P0405 EGR Circuit Low Input

Thanks to this forum I seemed to have fixed everything! "knock on wood"

I bought an O2 Sensor and replaced it easily (It was actually not that hard, I am proud of myself! :) ) and this appears to have fixed my first code.

Now for the other codes?!? Not sure what they are fully tied too. I ran out of gas withen the past month so I am wondering if one of those codes could be possibly tied to that.

I did the EGR clean, but was kind of confused on the directions (Although it was a newbie guide, I needed the newbie guide for the newbie guide as I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. I am smart and ready to learn, but ran into a few things.

When I did the EGR clean, I removed the EGR Valve and sprayed Intake Cleaner into the Vacuum port on the engine. I was scared as hell to do this because I have never done anything like this before and thought I might blow up the engine. I also was scared because as soon as I started spraying the engine idles lower and evenutally died. I was sweating bullets until I did a restart and everything fired right up. I then use the throttle to increase the engine RPM while I did it and had more luck as the engine did not die again. I used GUMOUT Intake and Throttle cleaner for the process. Does it sound like I did this right? Also the exhaust shot out a liquid. Is this normal? I take it is. But not sure. I also noticed the engine smoke while I did this, but not heavily.

I sprayed some Carb Cleaner that was safe for O2 Sensors into the Big hole on the EGR Valve to get all the carbon build up out. I kept spraying untill everything looked clear? Did I do this right? Also what is this PCV (PVC??) that everyone keeps referring to? Is that easy to do? What is the process of cleaning this?

I then unhooked my battery after I put everything back together and waited a long 15 minutes to hook it back up. I did and started the car. The CEL did not come on! I went to Conoco and filled up the tank after I put some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner which was recommended from AutoZone to clean out my fuel injector. I drove about 5 miles and then returned home with no CEL once. I am feeling pretty good right about now. Was my process fine? I wonder how much I saved doing this work myself as opposed to going to the mechanic. I only spent 50 dollars for the o2 Sensor and about $10 more for all the cleaners (carb, fuel injector, and Intake Cleaner). It was a day well spent. I also had this annoying rattle from under the car. I thought something was going bad with the exhaust. It was just a metal cover for one of the pipes making contacting so I bent it out of reach and it fixed it.

Please give me feedback and/or info about the codes I had. I will continue to watch to see if my CEL will come one. Thank you to everyone for helping me

amigo-2k
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
did you clean out the actual EGR? There is a springed pintle that you can push in and out with a screw driver and also spray that out with carb cleaner. This pintle should move freely and not be sticky when you move it in and out.

legend1011
03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I did that too. I also cleaned out the big hole on the EGR as well. That pintle was pushed in and out multiple times to make sure that is was moving freely

marcre
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
take off the duct that goes from the MAF to the throttle. Look inside the throttle and you'll see the EGR tube. Make sure that end is clean as well.

legend1011
03-26-2006, 10:05 PM
take off the duct that goes from the MAF to the throttle. Look inside the throttle and you'll see the EGR tube. Make sure that end is clean as well.

Okay you got me here. What is the MAF? When you say throttle are you talking about that cable that makes the engine rev more from under the hood? A Duct? or a hose? Not sure. Thanks for the advice. A pic would be helpful.

marcre
03-26-2006, 10:06 PM
PCV location:
Facing the engine, it's on top of the right hand valve cover, about in the center. It's got a vacume hose clamped to it. Lift the plastic cover on top of the engine up & off to see the PCV valve. You just pull it up and out.

this is real easy to change, I'd recommend using an OEM replacement.

marc

legend1011
03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
PCV location:
Facing the engine, it's on top of the right hand valve cover, about in the center. It's got a vacume hose clamped to it. Lift the plastic cover on top of the engine up & off to see the PCV valve. You just pull it up and out.

this is real easy to change, I'd recommend using an OEM replacement.

marc

Now this PCV valve, is it something that can be cleaned? I will probably do the OEM replacement just so it is brand new. Sounds like a cheap part.

marcre
03-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Okay you got me here. What is the MAF? When you say throttle are you talking about that cable that makes the engine rev more from under the hood? A Duct? or a hose? Not sure. Thanks for the advice. A pic would be helpful.

The duct is just the plastic tube that the air goes through. The MAF is the sensor that is after your airbox (where the air filter is) it is squarish in shape. The throttle is where the cable attaches. That cable opens it up. When you take the duct off, you'll see what that cable oopens up. Just be careful taking the duct off, I broke mine putting it back on. $40 for a new one.

marc

marcre
03-26-2006, 10:13 PM
It can bew cleaned, but if it's never been changed it may be time. It is not that expensive, ~$10.

Add your comment to this topic!