Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiring 2 Amps

BlasZ24
03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
What I have:
2 12" 800 watt 4 ohm subs
2 mono block amplifiers 200w @ 4 ohms 350w @ 2 ohms

What I would like to do is wire up both amps so that they each are getting a 2 ohm load so that I can be getting 700 watts rms to the subs. Is there any way to wire the amps for this to work? Or will I have to settle with each amp running at 4 ohms.

Thanks
Matt

dave92cherokee
03-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Unless the subs are dual voice coil no. If they're single voice coil then you could wire both of them together to 1 amp to get the 350 at 2 ohm's. When wiring the impedance of a system it's not done to the amp it's done to the subs.

BlasZ24
03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Damn I was hoping that I could wire the outputs of the amps in series to get the extra power out of them. Interestingly though the extra 50 watts total to the subs that I am getting from having the amps hooked up to 1 sub each seems to make the bass a lot more clear than when I had the one amp wired on at 2 ohms.

digitalchaos
03-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Damn I was hoping that I could wire the outputs of the amps in series to get the extra power out of them. Interestingly though the extra 50 watts total to the subs that I am getting from having the amps hooked up to 1 sub each seems to make the bass a lot more clear than when I had the one amp wired on at 2 ohms.

What you were noticing was the amplifier clipping. One amp wired at 4 ohms to one subwoofer is less work for the amp than 2 subs wired in parallel to a single amp.

Setting the gain control on the amp properly will reduce clipping.. as will eliminating bass boost.

Also, changing the sub enclosure to a more efficient type could help. What type are they in now? If its sealed, check sub specs for a ported enclosure.. which can be more efficient.

Out of curiousity, what brand of equipment are you using? Perhaps you can trade the subs for a similar model with different VC's.

BlasZ24
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
The subs are in a sealed box, I am trying to save a bit of space in my trunk this way this box already takes up half my trunk. Also it makes the subs last longer this way.

I am using 2 Pioneer TS-W305C 12" Subs. My amps are Alpine I forget the model number but it is a pretty popular sub amp.

Add your comment to this topic!