Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WRX or RX-8?

Vtec95Civic
03-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Saving up for a new car after my plans for a motorcycle failed. Looking at two main contenders, the WRX or RX-8. I like that the WRX is factory turbo and AWD, but I like the style and comfort (supposedly, been in neither of them) of the RX-8.

What do you guys think? I like to drive fast, btw, love the backroads for the twisties but also enjoy a good long highway run. Also planning on modding whichever one I get. As much as possible.

Chad82
03-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Well first take a ride in a RX8. How old are you, anyways (just curious because of your motorcycle plan failure comment)?

Vtec95Civic
03-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Just turned 20 last week. The plans for a bike only went downhill because I am moving and have no garage to keep it in.

harrymay
03-28-2006, 08:45 AM
in terms of speed, the wrx would be faster. with all four wheels turning at once, you would get a much better launch, and it would be better for twisites.

the rx8 is probably a better highway car, it is rwd, has a good amount of torque stock n/a'd and im pretty sure will take a turbo well on stock internals.

you are looking at two very different cars, not just in engine, but full drivetrain.

JLad10687
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
in terms of speed, the wrx would be faster. with all four wheels turning at once, you would get a much better launch, and it would be better for twisites.

the rx8 is probably a better highway car, it is rwd, has a good amount of torque stock n/a'd and im pretty sure will take a turbo well on stock internals.

you are looking at two very different cars, not just in engine, but full drivetrain.

The RX-8 has good torque stock? Could have fooled me.

VTEC LOVER
03-30-2006, 10:27 AM
dude i would test out the WRX STI first u cant go wrong speed, handling and accelration in on

Chad82
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
But you can go wrong with the insurance rates for a 20 year old. Not to mention on backroads and highways, where is he actually going to use all that power?

DinanM3_S2
03-30-2006, 01:19 PM
dude i would test out the WRX STI first u cant go wrong speed, handling and accelration in on

Not to mention that it costs more... Seriously, if he could afford a $30,000 car, wouldn't this be Evo v. STi. v. 350z or something to that effect?

The RX8 should be a much more fun car then the WRX. The WRX is good, but its not as responsive as the RX8. The turbo lag is pretty horrendous for a stock, modern car. The WRX is a bit more practical for rain, snow, and ice, but it just isn't a true sports car like the RX8.

Vtec95Civic
03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I also might consider the new MX-5 (miata). Kind of a girly car but the handling with those things is rediculous.

Integra4200
04-07-2006, 12:43 AM
my friend went and test drove all those cars.. evo, sti, rx8. he said the sti was the best by far. i heard the rx8 isnt even that fast.

G-man422
04-07-2006, 06:40 AM
I say RX-8. Its great at handling, and the engine revs high making it sound like your driving a beast. not to mention the beautiful purr from rotary engines. Just make sure you keep up w/ maintainance.

richard petrus
04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Saving up for a new car after my plans for a motorcycle failed. Looking at two main contenders, the WRX or RX-8. I like that the WRX is factory turbo and AWD, but I like the style and comfort (supposedly, been in neither of them) of the RX-8.

What do you guys think? I like to drive fast, btw, love the backroads for the twisties but also enjoy a good long highway run. Also planning on modding whichever one I get. As much as possible.
Hey much HP you want to get out of the car?

[Storm]
04-23-2006, 04:20 AM
yerh ive seen alot of rx8s in australia and there all pussy. my dad beat one in his ute... and it is crap... wrx, as i said in another post, its more refined, many versions have led up to the current wrxs. you can see this by studying the models history. wrxs get better to compete with evos, so theyll never stop getting better until one of them admits defeat... if u want rotary get a fc or an fd

Teenage Frenzy
04-23-2006, 02:22 PM
The WRX is very closeley related to the Corvette. With nearly the same horsepower but less than about twenty thousand in cash, the WRX delivers some of the same top-notch performance which can be found in a coupe. Personally man i think you should stick with either a different more reliable car or the RX-8. Being just twenty, probably in college and maybe a family oriented guy you want something a little more spacing. If you've ever sat in a WRX, those things are made for like small people. If you're well over six foot, you need to find yourself another car. I would suggest the Dodge Charger. The Charger has a great blend of personality and luxury in the mix. It's a perfect ride for long term cruises on the high way or high-speed chases with the po-lice haha. But seriously man in a few years you'll perhaps be married with a kid or a few dogs. You won't be able to fit all ur stuff into a tiny jet-driven WRX. You gotta think realisticly with your options. I'd pick something a little more reliable and user-friendly. Perhaps a Volvo lol. My fav...

Add your comment to this topic!