shake when accelerating

99avenger2.5
03-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I just bought a 99 avenger with 2.5l. The vehicle shakes when I accelerate. The shake is more noticeable when starting off from a stop. I thought it might be the tires since they were wearing unevenly. I replaced the tires and had the car aligned. The problem did not go away. I Also inspected the front end for any loose suspention parts and found nothing. :screwy: Any ideas

Burnerdominator
03-28-2006, 02:14 AM
did you check your wheels to see if they were bent?

99avenger2.5
03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
when I was balancing the wheels they did not look bent. I also rotated the tires to make sure that is was not a wheel problem.

Burnerdominator
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
send this guy a privy TheStang00 he knows avengers well he helped me with a few of my probs

TheStang00
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
it sounds like an alignment issue or a tire balance issue but it obviously isnt since youve checked those.

there is a recall on the lower ball joint in the front control arms. check that. just take it to a dealer and have them inspect it, if its not right they will replace it for free.

neon_rt
03-29-2006, 11:12 AM
It sounds like a CV joint problem. With a bad CV joint, you will feel a pulsing when you turn sharp while moving slow, this pulsing will feel more like a vibration when you are moving faster. The harder you accelerate the harder the pulsing will be. Basically the more stress you put on the joint by turning and/or accelerating the more pulsing you will feel. If this is the case, you will need to have the CV joint fixed soon. The high speed vibration will destroy the transmission seal were the axle connects to the trans. If the joint decides to break, you will be stranded. These usually fail b/c the rubber boot that protects the joint gets a hole in it and all of the grease leaks out or in case of having a automatic transmission, the driver has a habit of putting the car in Park without applying the E-brake. After you put the Trans in park and then take your foot off of the brake you may notice that many times the car will roll forward or back 2-3 inches. B/C the trans is locked, there is no cushion for the impact on the CVs. Repeated slamming of the weight of the car against the CVs when the trans is locked will cause them to wear out faster than they normally would.

99avenger2.5
03-30-2006, 09:35 PM
i thought that it might be the cv joints, but I was not sure how to check them. how do you check them and if it is them are they easy to replace

Ramvenger
07-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I read somewhere that it was because of the transmission... something to do with the TC or something. I'm not sure but it said that it would shudder from a stop.

Add your comment to this topic!