Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlights relay?

regalfriend
03-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I have a 97.5 GS. Having problems w/ low beam headlights coming on. Switch has been replaced. Found 2 15 amp fuses in fuse panel under hood. Both are good....Is there a relay or other fuses that i may have overlooked?

BNaylor
03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Which switch was replaced. The main headlight control or multifunction - dimmer/stalk?

According to my GM wiring diagram, it is a straight shot from the output of the multifunction switch to the low beam lamps. It does have a junction or pass through in the engine compartment fuse box. However, no other fuses or relays in that circuit.

Check both low beam lamps at the headlight assembly and make sure they are good. I had both low beam bulbs burnt out at the same time in the past.

regalfriend
03-27-2006, 08:19 AM
What happened was sometimes the lights wouldnt come on and i would tap the dash right above the multi-function switch and they would flicker then come on. Sometimes i would use the switch on the column and go from low to high beam a few times and they would come on . Also the cluster lights would flicker sometimes too. I took the multi switch out and noticed one of the connectors was black like it was fryed. I took out the bulb from the low beam and the glass was clear and the filament was intact. It did look kind of grey, not the way it should.....I want to replace with silverstars. $20 a piece... Im afraid if i put them in i may blow them too.

BNaylor
03-27-2006, 05:46 PM
What happened was sometimes the lights wouldnt come on and i would tap the dash right above the multi-function switch and they would flicker then come on. Sometimes i would use the switch on the column and go from low to high beam a few times and they would come on . Also the cluster lights would flicker sometimes too. I took the multi switch out and noticed one of the connectors was black like it was fryed. I took out the bulb from the low beam and the glass was clear and the filament was intact. It did look kind of grey, not the way it should.....I want to replace with silverstars. $20 a piece... Im afraid if i put them in i may blow them too.

Yeah, I wouldn't use the Silverstars as a guinea pig.

The burnt connector. Is it the output/input connector? I recall there is a smaller one from the ignition switch with orange or red wires that can cause problems. The burnt connector doesn't sound good.

Add your comment to this topic!