Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Modify 944 engine

rocar
03-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Can I remove the balancing shafts?
As I'm going for big hp

L8 APEKS
04-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes, you can do away with the balance shafts. The few remaining race engine builders delete them on their high HP engines. To properly remove the B-shafts, you will want to pull the engine out to reach things easier.

However, for the time being, just take off the B-shaft belt.

rocar
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks,
I already have the engine out but didn't dismantle yet as I'm searching for a good performance parts supplier.
Do you know someone?

Thanks
Roger

L8 APEKS
04-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey there,

Well, there isn't much aftermarket for the 944 N/A. If you have a Turbo, you are in luck.

I have an N/A and after some basic work, the car can get out of it's own way. It's not fast in a straight line, and never will be...for the money it would cost to make an N/A 944 go really fast in a straight line, you could probably buy a pair of 944 Turbos. But, it's quick enough. Most 944 owners will tell you to focus on suspension and driving skill. I can keep up with some cars that boast nearly double my horsepower on the racetrack.

If you still want to make your N/A faster, the main power ingredient is going to be the head. Portwork does a little, but mainly you'll want to raise the compression and get a cam (Web Cams or Jon Milledge Engineering).

Chip, hot wire MAF, exhaust, and you're on your way. All the bolt-ons with the cam+headwork should see about 200hp. At that point, I'd recommend making the car lighter to make it faster. You can easily shed 200 lbs on most 944's. Race weight for 944 Spec cars is 2400 lbs...roughly 400 lbs lighter than stock. These cars retain all the OE glass and body panels. A 2400 lb 944 with 200hp is faster than a Turbo...but will cost more in the end.

Lindsey Racing, Andersen Motor Works, and Guru Racing are good sources. Also see Rennlist.com .

Add your comment to this topic!