Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Sunbird accelerates with out touching gas!! HELP

kandy_k_46804
03-25-2006, 09:23 PM
I have never been on this site so please be patient with me. :smile: I have a 94 Pontiac Sunbird LE and it is having problems. When I let off the gas after accelerating, my speed stays pretty constant and doesn't slow down much at all. I can coast for a very long distance and the speedometer drops very very slowly. Unfortunately I don't have an RPM gauge to see what I am idiling at. I do feel that the car is idiling a little high though but I can't be sure. When I shut the car off while in park, it seems to make a lot of noise like it was idiling higher than usual. Also, I I noticed that when I am crawling in drive without accelerating at all my car is actually speeding up and I have to hit the brake to slow it down. When I am trying to park I hit the brake from coasting into the spot and the brakes jerk.....I assume this is because they are fighting the acceleration. I was wondering if anyone knew what might be causing this before I take it into the shop. Unfortunately I am rather poor due to college expenses and cannot afford much and am hoping this isn't a big problem. Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks.

richtazz
03-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak or a bad IAC (Idle Air Control) valve.

Aremy Griese
04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
the last car I worked on with that problem turned out to be the oxygen censor

Add your comment to this topic!