Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

240sx vh45de swap???

232FIed
03-25-2006, 02:04 PM
has anyone heard of this v8 engine swap?

i found two forums that said it mounts up to anything nissan that came equiped with a v6 with some tweeks and fabrication. they also mentioned the possibility of the 240sx (which im guessing means both the s13 and s14) with the v8 engine and bellhousing + the essentials in swapping any motors + the 240's 5speed tranny.

hears the specs of the vh:
280+hp 300+ft/lbs -all aluminum.

i could twin turbo it when everythings said and done and have a safe 400+hp. i think its more sophisticated than the skyline swap yet just as effective and very powerful.

i'll take professional imput and any reasons dedicated to not doing this. appreciate everything ---

sidewayzS13
03-25-2006, 02:22 PM
what are you asking here for if u said the other 2 forums have already covered it?

David_NISMO
03-26-2006, 03:04 AM
They mentioned "the possibility of it" He was just looking for a yay or nay from this forum.

Anyways, I don't think so dude. It's not a matter of length, which would be no issue here as we all know that a straight 6 goes in JUST FINE :) It's a matter of width. Those V8's are 90* engines, sure, it would fit, but who knows how high it would have to sit in the engine bay to clear the strut towers which are relatively close together. If you just wanted a drag car you could build one of those ridiculous custom hoods and stick her in there, but even then, I doubt it would clear the transmission tunnel, Hell, my RB25 tranny is rubbing on the trans tunnel and I've got the Mickinney Mounts

Now, the S12, you've got a winner there. It came with the VG30, so there's a chance there.

OOOps, I just remembered something, our little Silvia is a total slut, she's taken just about everything people have thrown at her. I seem to recall that SBC's have been dropped into those engine bays. But what are the chances that someone who'd be willing to do that gave two shits how it handled afterwards.

232FIed
03-26-2006, 01:43 PM
your very right. i did some research and i think its time to start another project. i was thinking about cutting up my s14 but i love that car to much so it looks like i'm gonna grab a z31 (always fancied them with the t-tops) and try out the swap. i hear its direct bolt up to their automatic transmissions

im starting a project site so i'll keep eveyone posted when i start it up

thanks for the help though ---

David_NISMO
03-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Really? Hey, do me a huge favor!!!! My buddy's got a VQ45 he wants to put into his S12, but hasn't figured out what to do about the tranny. If you hear of a definate bolt up tranny, please, please, please, let me know!!!

The Q45 was only available in automatic and he obviously wants to go Manual. If an auto from another motor will bolt up, then the manual from that same motor will too.

Thanks in advance, David.

232FIed
03-27-2006, 01:30 AM
if the auto from the z31 is the same they used in the z32s than i know alot of people that say you can bolt the q45 engine right up to the bellhousing. as for the manual, i know theres a video of a guy who drives a 450zxtt which is the 300zx with the vh45de motor, a fabricated twin turbo system and the adapted 300zx tt 5 speed bolted up. he recommended the tts 5 speed because of its dexterity. so an adapter plate is duible but i've yet to see a 'how to' posted.

correct me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly sure this is everything with regard to the engine swapping in. getting the thing to run and runn smoothely is only as sure as your knowledge of irregular motor swapping. you'll need the obvious ecu and wiring harness run through the firewall, you'll need to fab up the exhaust and maybe judging on clearance the intake manifold. if you turbo it god only knows the clearance issues but i'm willing to bet if someone else did it. i can

i heard the addition of the vk head on the vh motor will put you after exhaust and intake around 400hp... not bad for n/a

let me know if you find anything i'll keep you posted if i get corrected. ---

David_NISMO
03-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Wiring is always hard, but never the part that keeps a swap from happening. Dimensions and Layout are what you really have to worry about.

I'll keep this updated throughout the spring and summer as well. Assuming he actually does it this time around. He's turboing this stupid little axxess Van right now, so who know how long before he'll get going on his REAL project.

David_NISMO
03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Wiring is always hard, but never the part that keeps a swap from happening. Dimensions and Layout are what you really have to worry about.

I'll keep this updated throughout the spring and summer as well. Assuming he actually does it this time around. He's turboing this stupid little axxess Van right now, so who know how long before he'll get going on his REAL project.

sidewayzS13
03-27-2006, 12:11 PM
whatever you decide to do keep us posted different swaps arent my cup of tea but i do always like to see the bounds other people are pushing w/ these cars

blight
04-02-2006, 11:37 AM
dude have you been to the s12 forums?

http://www.club-s12.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Club S12Forums - General Questions s12

nismogt_rfreak
12-12-2006, 12:02 PM
The VH45 is the motor from the Q45, right? Where can you find one and how much do you think it would cost (for the motor)?

S13Driftfiend
12-12-2006, 01:52 PM
search
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=595634

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t599632.html

Turbo711
01-28-2007, 12:11 PM
It's totally been done before.

You need custom mounts, and that's pretty much it. You could make a crossmember if you wanted to make everything perfect.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Turbo711/cars/Nissan180SXVH45_2.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Turbo711/cars/Nissan180SXVH45.jpg

There is also a video on youtube, I'll see if I can't locate it.

HoosierDrifter
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
thats a lot of mass up front

Turbo711
01-28-2007, 12:34 PM
It's all aluminum and right up against the firewall.

It weights less than a VG30

HoosierDrifter
01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
id like to see how the LH header will clear the steering shaft

Turbo711
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
You definitely have to modify it. Just like with a VQ swap, it either needs to be dented or a new one be made.

450SX!
05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I love the pics of the 240 with the vh45de in it. thats beautiful.
I am planning the same swap in just a few months. NIce to see it has been done. I plan on twin turboing mine once its in . Has anyone heard how much power the stock internals can handle? I want around 450-550 as the wheels.

I heard on this forum that the ka24de weighs about 490 lbs. anywhere I can verify this? thanks

S13Driftfiend
05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
holy old post batman! do you have any swap experience? turbo experience? hows the car gonna handle with all that weight in the front? just some stuff to think about..

Add your comment to this topic!