Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 4cyl cav.. TEMP Light Comes on, heat/air smell like antifreeze... new thermostat?

Young Chuck D
03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
its only 6 bucks so i went ahead and bought it... i was wondering if anyone could confirm a new thermostat would solve the problem...

jakegday
03-25-2006, 06:04 PM
the problem you're describing in your "thread title" doesnt exactly sound like a bad thermostat, was your car overheating or running hotter then usual?

Young Chuck D
03-25-2006, 06:16 PM
the problem you're describing in your "thread title" doesnt exactly sound like a bad thermostat, was your car overheating or running hotter then usual?

thats the thing... its running the way its usually ran.. but now the temp light is coming on. only change i've recently made is a new catalytic converter (that had been put off for possibly too long :frown: )..... somebody told me thermostats can be damaged in cold cold weather... its been cold recently, i'm in maryland, usa....

so no i don't think its overheating but i could be wrong.

oh yeaaaaaa also i found a bottle of brake fluid that my stupid dad left under the hood by the AC compressor... it had fallen out of place and was right next to that big belt the spins on the side of the engine.. the belt burned a hole in the bottle and i fear some may have leaked out. that may have done something :(

jakegday
03-25-2006, 08:18 PM
hmmm, well if your car is overheating, i would think you'd definetely know it, and since its probably not overheating i would have to say your thermostat is fine, about the brake fluid, the only thing i think it could have done is spilled all over and made one hell of a mess, it may have gotten on your engine, and since your engine gets hot, it will of course burn the brake fluid and that would cause a smell, however it wouldnt smell anything like the anti freeze smell you described, are you positive it was anti freeze you were smelling?? now moving on to your temp light, are you sure your not just low on coolant?

94VL
03-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Get brake fluid on your belt and its ruined.It can slip causing the water pump to slow down.

|WYG|SS
03-26-2006, 12:07 PM
y not try flushing ur radiator it could be clogged.

Young Chuck D
03-27-2006, 11:58 AM
went to mechanic...

1 hose completely busted, another was swollen so i had those 2 replaced for 115.65 and will never go near that shop again.

apparently pouring cold water in a hot car is a no-no and my head gasket is more than likely blown.

the gasket is 24.44 at advance auto parts. my issue now is why the fuck do they want 600 dollars to change a little rubber plate with holes in it....?

Young Chuck D
03-27-2006, 12:00 PM
went to mechanic...

1 hose completely busted, another was swollen so i had those 2 replaced for 115.65 and will never go near that shop again.

apparently pouring cold water in a hot car is a no-no and my head gasket is more than likely blown.

the gasket is 24.44 at advance auto parts. my issue now is why the fuck do they want 600 dollars to change a little rubber plate with holes in it....?

94VL
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Its all in the labor,and the markup on the parts (gaskets).Changing a head gasket isnt a 5 minute job,and then after the engine is put back together you need to purge the air out of it and check to make sure its not going to overheat/leak again.This all takes time,and garages get $60-80 per hour labor.You might work for free.....but remember,no matter whose time it is...time is still money.While you are doing the head gasket you cant be somewhere else doing something else...

Young Chuck D
03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Its all in the labor,and the markup on the parts (gaskets).Changing a head gasket isnt a 5 minute job,and then after the engine is put back together you need to purge the air out of it and check to make sure its not going to overheat/leak again.This all takes time,and garages get $60-80 per hour labor.You might work for free.....but remember,no matter whose time it is...time is still money.While you are doing the head gasket you cant be somewhere else doing something else...

well my buddy down the street who works on cars off the books but has alot of equipment and experience and what not... said he'll replace it for 200 and told me to go buy the parts. :smooch:

blackwidow98
04-14-2006, 01:07 AM
check your heater core too that comes associated with coolant smell in the vents. was there any coolant on the passenger side floor?

Add your comment to this topic!