Page updated on 07-17-2018

Window Trouble Update

Holaday1185
03-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Concerning the drivers side front window: The window picks and chooses which days it wants to somewhat work. On some days, the window will go down a little bit, make a terrible cranking noise, and then go up with the push of a button. Other days (which is the most) the window does absolutely nothing. I took the door panel off today just to check for any obvious obstructions. The window makes a clicking noise somewhere within, which tells me that it is receiving power and any wiring is not an issue. I don't know if it is the motor since it sometimes works. Please, I am in desperate need of any suggestions possible. The last thing I want to do is take my car to the deal. Help, I am a poor college student, hah!

Thanks, David

Holaday1185
03-29-2006, 02:07 PM
This problem continues to occur. If I were to go to a deal (this is my last option) how much would it cost for them to tell me the problem?

bigsky
04-11-2006, 03:28 AM
If you have a mechanic you have been to before, and show it to him (take it apart for him), he would probably give free advice. But then you may feel obligated to have him fix it. A Buick shop would be a good bet...just ask if they will give you their advice. If you do determine it is a motor, e-bay or car-part.com would be a couple places to look.

Holaday1185
04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm just not so sure it's the motor. Is there anything I can do to check this? The only reason I believe this is because when it stopped working, it would randomly half work on some days. Just recently, as in this past week, the window hasn't worked at all. What other parts could be broken/messed up?

Thanks

Holaday1185
04-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Turns out it is the motor (according to the mechanic). Are these motors easy to install? They look relatively simple.

Thanks

Loekee75
04-17-2006, 07:04 AM
I removed and replaced the motor, assembly and glass on my 92' with absolutely no experience in a matter of about 30 minutes. It was easy for me, however the 97s are a newer body so I do not know if those are anything alike. If it looks easy to you, go for it. If you start having problems along the way, just back track and have your mechanic do it.

Holaday1185
04-17-2006, 09:33 AM
I've done some research. 1991-2003 window motors are all the same. I am finding prices for a window motor and am kinda suprised at how much they cost. I know there are 2 different kinds ((1)FLand RR (2) FR and RL). Most of the motors that i've priced are around 50 bucks with 10 dollars shipping. Can you recommend a better and cheaper place to buy one? Thanks for the help again!

Loekee75
04-17-2006, 04:53 PM
RockAuto.com has Dorman brand window motors for $37.79 before shipping http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1019876&parttype=1516

Holaday1185
04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks,
I ordered the window motor this morning from that website and also took out the existing one. In doing so, I have found, for sure, that the motor is blown/broken. I couldn't believe how easy it was once the door panel was removed along with the annoying black plastic. We'll see what happens when I get the motor in the mail. Thanks for the help!

Holaday1185
04-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Uh Oh!
I ordered and recieved my new window motor today (DORMAN Part # 742105 Front Left & Rear Right http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1019876&parttype=1516) The picture accompanying the image does not match the motor I took out of my vehicle. My motor, with the gears up, looks like an L. The motor I received looks like a backwards L. From looking at the website it looks as if the motor that supposedly goes to the front right and rear left fits my front left. The picture even matches. Please Help!!!

Holaday1185
04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Damn RockAuto,
Just got off the phone with RockAuto. The phone call lasted an hour. Turns out my 1997 Buick Park Avenue is an exception. When figuring out what motor fits "my car" the LF and RR motor shows up. I had no idea that some cars are exceptions to this rule. So, all in all, the RF and LR motor is the motor that fits my Front Left. Don't ask me how. RockAuto is responsible for not placing an asterik next to the darn part. They took no responsibility. I am out 2 hours of phone conversations, an additional week to install a part (it's getting real hot with out a driver's side window), and shipping (which is supposed to get paid back to me but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure it's a good company, just make sure you don't make the same mistake.

Add your comment to this topic!