Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 dx not starting

gebrek
03-24-2006, 11:20 PM
My 95 dx won't start, as evidenced by the title. It won't turn over, no clicking, nothing. The dome light still turns on (as bright as ever) and the radio works, it just doesn't seem like anything else is happening. Is the starter weak on these? I haven't had problems before this, but I don't know... Anyone know what could be going on?

terock
03-27-2006, 05:35 PM
first test you batrie,, you need at lease 12volts but a perfecly good batrie will give you 13.5volt
if the batrie is good, then you need to ensure the pwr is getting to the starter,, let me know

gebrek
03-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, I appreciate the response but it's working now. One day it doesn't turn over, the next it starts right up...:banghead:

97cavalier
03-28-2006, 10:43 PM
sound liek either starter is going out or the wire to the starter has a short, or there is a short somewhere els in the car.

aikiwaza
04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Is your car an automatic or manual
If it's a manual it's possible that if your not hearing anything... like nothing at all... that your clutch safety switch isn't being depressed all the way. Check to make certain that your clutch is going all the way down and that nothing is obstructing it (like floor mats)

If it still doesn't work let me know... I've had this problem on a couple of cars.

60milecommute
04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
My 95 Tercel DX automatic also will not start sometimes, but will crank. When the engine sits cold for a long time, it starts without a problem. Very mysterious. I have been told by experienced auto parts guys that it is likely the ignition control module dying. This is a very expensive part, and so is the engine control module. Does anyone know what the difference is between these parts?

Add your comment to this topic!