washed engine and now won't start

caguy714
03-24-2006, 04:51 AM
I used engine degreaser, spray it on the side of the distributor cap and around the engine, then wash it w/ water. Now engine won't start, start crank it but won't start. I changed 4 new parks plugs, whole new wire set, new distributor cap and rotor and a new fuel filter, but still WON'T START. I ask people at autozone, some guy told me that it could be the distributor or and alternator. I bring the alternator and have it tested, it still good. I just bought it last year when I messed it up by washing the engine :screwy: . But not this time. Does anybody have any ideas what went wrong? Some other guy, told me to use a dry and blow dry and inside of distributor, will it help. If it was wetted inside, can the distributor unit still be good after 10 or 15 times of unsuccessful starting? Or do I have to replace it once it is wet? Will it help, if I let it sit for a few more days before starting it again? Please help me, I need my car for food deli this weekend.
Caliguy

I've made a promise to myself, that I would never ever wash the engine again until the day I die.

RIP
03-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I read a similar thread recently about the same problem. Eventually found water on the igniter connections. It's on the right side near the brake master cylinder.

I hope when you changed all those parts you confirmed you weren't getting spark at the plugs. I always hate to read about people shot gunning parts. Many times it turns out to be a needless waste of time and money. Check it before you change it. If you did, good on ya.

Letting water in the cylinder wasn't the greatest move but, a few minutes of running should clear it out. Next time blow it out with compressed air.

Use a hair dryer on the distributor? Why not? It can't hurt.

caguy714
03-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Ok, let me look at the location of the igniter connections on my camry and try to fix that first. This morning, I went the autozone, the old man at the store gave me a wire drier spray and told me to spray inside the distributor let it dry for ten or fifteen minutes. I went home and did exactly what he said. DIDN'T WORK. Engine cranks, starter works, but doesn't start. Thanks for helping RIP

AccordCodger
03-24-2006, 09:10 PM
You still didn't tell us if you have a spark at the plugs

caguy714
03-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Oh, ok let me check if I'll get sparks. I need to get my friend over. If I WON'T get spark then what can be wrong. If I WILL get spark then what else can be wrong. Thanks for helping. I went to autozone again today, people there told me that the distributor got wet and that is why I couldn't start my car. They told me to let it sit for a few days with the distributor cap off and let see if that will work.

Mike Gerber
03-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Try using the hair dryer on the inside of the distributor as has been suggested. That is, if you are close enough to an electrical outlet or have a long enough extension cord to do that. If that doesn't work or you can get electricity to the car then leave the distributor cap off for a day or two as has also been suggested. If you can leave the hood open with the sun on the engine, that would also help to dry things out. My guess is you have a hairline crack in the coil and the water now inside the distributor is causing it to short to that now wet area inside the distributor. You never did say whether you are getting spark or not. Chances are you probably are not getting spark.

PS:The alternator wouldn't keep the car from starting if the battery is turning over the engine strongly as you seem to indicate. I would not listen to whoever told you that again.

Mike

Mike

caguy714
03-25-2006, 01:16 AM
GUYS, GUESS WHAT IT STARTED YESssssssss, :naughty: I'm a happy man, definitely, the water got into the distributor because the rubber seal gasked wasn't sitting properly. Anyway, after 1 can of wire dryer into and distributor. Three days sitting w/ hood open (neighbor pass by w/ curious eyes). Because I live in a gated area, they can tow my car ($150 to get it back). I DID get sparks but very weak one.

I call up a friend to push it out to public street to park for a few days to dry. By the time we out of the gate, we were so exhausted. The brake is now stuck, since the engine isn't on, it won't release the brake back. I couldn't pump the brake to stop the car. I tried to crank the engine and was hoping that the brake would pop back but somehow the sound of cranking engine came alive and was going to die on me. Immediately, I floored the gas pedal all the way, but neutral gear and engine finally started. Thank you. I would like to thanks you guys for helping and I really appreciate it. Thank you Mike, AccordCoger and RIP.:rofl:

caguy714
03-25-2006, 09:08 PM
:banghead: :banghead: Guys, now it dies again. About half a mile down the road, the engine went dead. I try to crank it about 15 times before it start again and dead again another quarter mile. This morning, we test everything. We have fuel because when I unbolt the outlet hose from the fuel filter, we got gasoline but I'm suprise that the pressure is very weak because it didn't spray up in my face or anything like the Haynes manual said (fuel system is supoose to have pressure at 30 PSI or more). I spray starting fluid 15 second directly into the air intake throttle and try to start it and engine won't start. So that should eliminate the fuel pump is the cause of the problem. Basically, we get sparks, and eventhough the starting fuild didn't help. Any ideas??? Thanks

PS: I think I'm going to change the fuel pump relay then check. If fail to start, then I'll change the fuel pump. I think that the problem could be the fuel pump because I always drive until the gas is ALMOST empty until I fill up again. So that could to damage to the pump in the long run.

tubjub
03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
iid double check your distributor cap... because on a small engine one dead cylinder can keep it from starting. i know because i washed the engine in my tercel and it wouldn't start (wet cap)... and my celica too ... did the same thing. double check your cap and rotor make sure they're not too worn or anything like that

caguy714
03-25-2006, 11:11 PM
So did them both started after u let them sit. How many days? Mine are 3 days already. Did u mess up the distributor unit when u try to start the engine with wet distributor? Thanks

DFBonnett
03-26-2006, 08:32 AM
:banghead: :banghead: Guys, now it dies again. About half a mile down the road, the engine went dead. I try to crank it about 15 times before it start again and dead again another quarter mile. This morning, we test everything. We have fuel because when I unbolt the outlet hose from the fuel filter, we got gasoline but I'm suprise that the pressure is very weak because it didn't spray up in my face or anything like the Haynes manual said (fuel system is supoose to have pressure at 30 PSI or more). I spray starting fluid 15 second directly into the air intake throttle and try to start it and engine won't start. So that should eliminate the fuel pump is the cause of the problem. Basically, we get sparks, and eventhough the starting fuild didn't help. Any ideas??? Thanks

PS: I think I'm going to change the fuel pump relay then check. If fail to start, then I'll change the fuel pump. I think that the problem could be the fuel pump because I always drive until the gas is ALMOST empty until I fill up again. So that could to damage to the pump in the long run.

Before you change the relay, remove the gas cap and have someone turn the key to ON but not START. With your ear next to the filler pipe, listen for the pump to power up then shut off. If you hear the pump, the relay is working and you likely still have a moisture problem in or near the distributor. The fact that the starting fluid didn't work takes us right back to ignition. Remove the new rotor and dry everything again including the inside of the new cap.
FWIW
YMMV

rimfire,22
03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I used engine degreaser, spray it on the side of the distributor cap and around the engine, then wash it w/ water. Now engine won't start, start crank it but won't start. I changed 4 new parks plugs, whole new wire set, new distributor cap and rotor and a new fuel filter, but still WON'T START. I ask people at autozone, some guy told me that it could be the distributor or and alternator. I bring the alternator and have it tested, it still good. I just bought it last year when I messed it up by washing the engine :screwy: . But not this time. Does anybody have any ideas what went wrong? Some other guy, told me to use a dry and blow dry and inside of distributor, will it help. If it was wetted inside, can the distributor unit still be good after 10 or 15 times of unsuccessful starting? Or do I have to replace it once it is wet? Will it help, if I let it sit for a few more days before starting it again? Please help me, I need my car for food deli this weekend.
Caliguy

I've made a promise to myself, that I would never ever wash the engine again until the day I die.

Caguy714,

The last time I had my engine washed from the car wash it didn't start either. It's most likely the distributor that got wet inside the cap. It finally got fixed by drying out the cap and rotor. Check and see if the cap is cracked.

rimfire,22

dinok
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Damn, same things happend to me today on my '94 Camry.
Washed engine and wont start. Had AAA guys towed me home and let engine crank for about dozen times until finally start.
After that die on me few times.

Man, I have had washed my engine before and never happend to me something like that, not even when I use to live in Germany with cold weather and washing my car and engine in winter time too, never died before like this. Strange, man.

Will try some of those advices for distributor cap to dry it out.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for advices.

Very sincerely,

Dino K

rholland
04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
check connectors under battery tray.this happens on older toyotas after engine wash

Febe
07-19-2009, 01:08 PM
HEEEELP! I just did the same to my 95 camry. We decided to degrease because of oil muck from the constant oil leak over the years. Now she wont start! We patted her dry letyou dry over night, checked the oil levels. Nothing yet and I need her to go to work and take my son to school tomorrow! We are trying to look at the distributor now... I am hoping for a miracle.
:runaround:
Any new suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike Gerber
07-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Try a hair dryer. Remove the distributor cap and use the hair dryer on the the inside of the distributor cap and rotor. Then remove each plug wire, dry the inside of the plug wires and especially down inside the spark plug wells with the hair dryer. If compressed air is available, use that down inside the spark plug wells instead. Then try to start the car.

If no electricity/hair dryer is available, use a rag instead on all these areas. Use a straw on the spark plugs wells and do the best you can blowing manually down there.

Mike

Franco2112
07-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Until they make consumer autos engine area water proof i will never wash it again.
Been down that road before an survived. I wash commercial truck engines all the time and never, have i ever had an issue starting. My word to ya, just wipe it down by hand to make it look good.

Add your comment to this topic!