Page updated on 07-19-2018

Dash lights up like a christmas tree?

fletch99
03-23-2006, 10:13 PM
98 Park Ave

While driving the other day a bunch of lights lite up on the dash and the bells went off. Best as I can remember:

ABS
Security
Air Bag(flashing)
Service Engine Soon

And the radio would not shut off when I cut off the engine and opened the door.

Took it to our dealer and the only problem he can duplicate is the radio wont shut off. However, he said there were a lot of codes set. So many in fact that they didn't have an idea of what to suspect. They cleared the codes and now no warning lights, or service engine and the radio even shuts off as normal. They've had the car since Tuesday. The service writer called late today and asked what I wanted them to do.

All they know is that something happened but they don't know what or how to approach it. :banghead: Should I just pickup the car and see if reoccurs or press the dealer to find the problem. BTW we've had a lot of problems with this dealer in the past but the next closest is over 30 miles away.

wrightz28
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Maybe an excorcism is in order?

Seriously, something obviously happened to effect all the electronic systems of the car. Either a abrupt power spike or loss of ground. I'd be going with the power spike, maybe a problem with the voltage regulator or dioides in the alternator ?

fletch99
03-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the idea.

TopherS
03-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Does the dealer suspect the radio not shutting off is related to the other problems? I realize this happened at the same time, but I have had some problems with my radio not shutting off when opening up the door (2001 PA). I have not had all the Christmas lights along with it, though (thank goodness). My problem is intermittent and I don't want to pay $90 for the dealer to open/close my door 3 times and tell me nothing's wrong. Since you had already taken yours in, perhaps they had an explanation for the radio thing. Any help you give would be appreciated. Thanks.

fletch99
03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
The dealer found nothing. I went and picked it up today (had to pay for troubleshooting time). I don't think they had a clue what happened. We're just going to watch it for a while.

bigsky
03-29-2006, 03:18 AM
fletch99...When I had this problem in a 1997, all it turned out to be was needing a new battery. So actually, before the dash lit up, all power had been lost for a very brief moment, and it was like starting the car (hence all the lights and bells). My problem occurred when I applied the brake (happened several times when driving down the road, but not every time I applied the brake). Also, did you notice if your trip odometer reset when this happened, just as it does when you disconnect the battery? Anyways, a new battery, and no problems since.

sarge293
07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I had the same problem. Within a few days the battery quit. No problems since new battery installed.

BNaylor
07-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I had the same problem. Within a few days the battery quit. No problems since new battery installed.

sarge293,

Welcome to AF.

Thanks for your input but please check the date and do not resurrect old threads. Guidance on old threads is posted at the top of the forum. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thread closed.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Add your comment to this topic!