Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Covering sub box in fiberglass

dave92cherokee
03-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey all was wondering if you can give me some input, especially you TSC. I plan on building a 10 cubic foot slot ported sub box for a 18" kicker solo x in the future. I am going to sink all the screws and L brackets on the outside and fill in the spaces with body filler and sand it smooth. The eventual product will be painted with automotive paint thinking of something like hunter green with bowling ball effect and a small chrome flake in it covered in about 6 coats of clear coat. I have read that some people that paint the boxes just get a good wood primer like Killz or such and cover the entire box that way and then paint it but I don't know if they just paint it to get it covered or to get the extreme shine like I am looking for. My question is would it be better to use wood primer and then high build auto primer and go with paint from there or cover it in about 6 layers of fiberglass then sand, use body filler, use high build primer, and then continue the paint from that point. The only part of the box that will not be painted will be the front where the port and sub are I'm planning on having a mirror cut to fit and have the Kicker solo x emblem etched into the center of the mirror. I will build the box and have it mounted to another board under it that will have it standing 3/4" off the floor to have the wiring running underneath of it. I know if I fiberglass it it will take a while to do and to dry so just want to know if the time of covering in fiberglass is worth it and how much of a difference would there be between painting the fiberglass or using a few good coats of wood primer and going that route. Thanks for the help.

TheSilentChamber
03-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Any good quality primer will work. Kilz is a sealer more than a primer, in residential painting it keeps layers from bleeding though. There is no need to fiberglass, there is no need to cover the thing with bondo. You will be better off using wood braces on the inside of the box rather than L brackets on the outside of the box.

inandoutaudio
10-17-2006, 01:11 AM
I am in the process of starting a custom composite fabrication shop , I have built many show winning cars that have had completly fiberglassed interiors, plus we specalize in fabrication of custom fiberglass enclosures, as well as custom body parts. all parts can be wraped in vinyl, carpet, or can be layed up in carbon fiber, or platnum carbon fiber (aluminized) or can be painted.. I would be interested in discussing what you want in more detail so that an accurate price can be established.. feel free to email me for more information..I have pictures of previous work that i have done that i can email to you at your decression..

Add your comment to this topic!