Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 Crown Vic no start

jase386
03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
We have an 87 Crown Vic that has been sitting for about 5 years. Ive decided to pull it out and start driving it again, just for the fun of it. but it wont start. I put a new solenoid and the engine turns, but no fire.

Somone told me that there was an optical sensor or something on these that would rust, and it needed to be sanded off and the car would start, but i have no idea where to look for this..

any other ideas why im getting no fire?

cobradude360
03-23-2006, 02:05 PM
does it get fuel and spark?

jase386
03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
when i say no fire, i mean that the starter spins, but there is no sound of anything firing. How do i know if there is any spark, or fuel? If it had a carburetor i could look for fuel, so where do i look on a fuel injected model

amo4387622
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key and the dash lights light up but dont crank the car? One way to check for fuel is after cranking the car a couple of times remove one of the spark plugs and if it is wet then you have fuel. Then one way to check for spark is to take a plug wire off of a spark plug and put the wire close to something metal with out paint or rust on it and if you see a spark then you have spark, Or pull a plug and put the plug in the wire and while someone cranks the car look for a sprak.

Add your comment to this topic!