How do I get out o these NYC parking tickets

Trauma_Junkie
03-22-2006, 10:46 PM
I have quite a delema. I have 2 cars both registered in New York State. I let a friend borrow my car who also lives in the city, he recently hit some hard times. He returned the car to me a few days ago after having it for a month.

Just for kicks I looked up the plate on the NYC parking violations web site and learned that he got $1255 worth of parking tickets in that one month. He has not returned my call in a week so far.

My question is ... I don't even like the car ... if I were to get rid of it ... either resell or donate and turn in the plates will I still be responsible for paying the tickets ... also if I do that, can the DMV suspend the registration on my other car and have it towed? Or stop me from registering another car?

Any info would be great.

GTP Dad
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately, the owner of the car is ultimately responsible for the cost of the tickets. Even if you sell the car you are still on record as the owner and you will have to pay them unless you can get hold of your "friend". They can suspend your license, tow the car and impound it, and even issue a warrant for your arrest to force you to pay. So unless you can get the other guy to cough up the funds, get out your checkbook.

alkemist
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Ya why did you give the car man. Dont trust no1 when you are in NY.

nydeer
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Ya why did you give the car man. Dont trust no1 when you are in NY.

I wouldn't quite go that far.. Sorry, as you've been told, your the registered owner, and therefore responsible. Just be glad your 'friend' didn't injure anybody while operating your vehicle..

Add your comment to this topic!