I really could use some help.94 Grand AM 2.3 SOHC QUAD NO OIL PRES. AFTER HEADGASKET

willyraz
03-22-2006, 07:07 PM
94 2.3 grand am sohc quad eng. vin code=3

Installed a new head gasket on my daughters 94 grand am. had no compression in cyl.1&2 head gasket was blown. was running very poorly,but ran no noise.Just got it back together and now have no oil pressure. Nothing even in the oil filter nothing,oil light on ,installed pressure gauge 0...hyd.
valves tapping away no oil. Any ideas. saw something on a google search
about a check valve in the lower r/s front of block.no picture not much
discription any idea what they are speaking of or more of a discription
of where this check valve is?? also saw do engine flush.. then change
oil couple times???thinking of pulling pan to check pump but something
tells me it is related to the head gasket job. any help would be greatly
appreciated. Regards. Bill

xeroinfinity
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
I hav had a few of the 2.3's and 2.4s apart and the only thing I can think of is the strainer on the oil pumps clogged, or the oil pumps regulator valve is bad.

You get everything cleaned out before you put it back together?
I usualy pre prime my lifters too, before installing them to make sure they dont pump dry.

I'm sure some of the 4cyl owners here at AF can assist more on this situation.
Good Luck and Welcome to AF!

skibum1111
03-22-2006, 09:11 PM
The check valve is used to stop the oil from draining out of the head when the motor sits, thus eliminating the dry start problems they were having. It sounds like something might have gotten dropped into the pan when you had the motor apart and is blocking the screen. The oil pump on the 94 quads was driven off the crankshaft and shouldn't need to be primed. Personally, I'd drop the pan to check the pickup screen for debris, and check the gear backlash on the pump drive gear, make sure its within spec. Hope this helps.

willyraz
03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and replys. I still have to ask about the location of that check valve can someone make me aware of it's location. Thanks Again.

xeroinfinity
03-23-2006, 06:16 PM
The check valve in a passage located in the right front corner of the block that keeps oil topside when the engine is shut off. The original design caused a lot of problems because the check ball came out of the holder, allowed oil to drain back from the head, and caused top end failures.

The check valve can also stick open or closed if it gets sludged up. Be sure to remove it, clean the passage thoroughly and replace it with the improved version that’s available under p/n 22548701

This link might help you on other issues,Quad 4 rebuild (http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar49935.htm)
Hope that helps willyraz.

willyraz
03-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Just want to thank you again for the help. Ended up being a seized oil pump.

xeroinfinity
03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
that'll do it for sure.

Glad to here you got'r fixed!

Add your comment to this topic!