Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Calipers

bobcoop06
03-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, I'm having some brake troubles here on my '98 CV P71...

In all honesty, my brakes have gone all to hell. They started grinding about a week or so ago, and smart me didn't bother getting them checked out right away. I figured I needed new pads and rotors, so I picked them up, but now I have another problem... When I back up, my left front wheel locks up. I'm thinking it's the caliper, or possibly the hose, but I haven't checked anything out yet. The problem is, I know nothing about calipers. I know I should probably leave the work to a professional, but it's something I want to learn to do. Even if I can't change it on my own, I have a friend that can, but I still don't know what to pick up at the parts store.

What's does "unloaded" "partially loaded" and "loaded" mean, and which should I get? And also, with calipers, should I just replace the faulty one or should I get both front ones replaced? And finally, what's involved in changing the caliper?

That is all. Thanks.

mtmaurer8ooo
03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
I've never heard of 'partially loaded' and I've been in the auto business for a while now...that's not to say it doesn't exist though.

A 'non loaded' caliper will not come with brake pads, where a 'loaded' caliper will.

Your first step here should be to find out exactly what is wrong with your car. 'Throwing' parts at a problem can get expensive very quickly and sometime it doesn't even fix what's wrong.

I have been taught and it is my experience that it is best, when replacing any component like that (brakes, shocks, bearings, ball joints, etc.) on a vehicle, to do both sides. You don't have to do this, but if one side went bad, chances are the other side isn't too far behind, and with brakes I don't like to gamble. In addition to this, if you are going to have a shop do the work, doing both sides at the same time can save you money on labor, over doing each side individually at different times.

Past that, there are many different setups on vehicles for the caliper mounting. The setup will also be different front to rear on your particular vehicle. My suggestion...talk to someone you know who knows what they are doing, and buy a Haynes or Chilton service manual. If you do plan to tackle the job, again, do it with someone who knows what they are doing.
Good luck. Let us know what you come up with. MM

BMFer1
03-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Hey guys, I'm having some brake troubles here on my '98 CV P71...

In all honesty, my brakes have gone all to hell. They started grinding about a week or so ago, and smart me didn't bother getting them checked out right away. I figured I needed new pads and rotors, so I picked them up, but now I have another problem... When I back up, my left front wheel locks up. I'm thinking it's the caliper, or possibly the hose, but I haven't checked anything out yet. The problem is, I know nothing about calipers. I know I should probably leave the work to a professional, but it's something I want to learn to do. Even if I can't change it on my own, I have a friend that can, but I still don't know what to pick up at the parts store.

What's does "unloaded" "partially loaded" and "loaded" mean, and which should I get? And also, with calipers, should I just replace the faulty one or should I get both front ones replaced? And finally, what's involved in changing the caliper?

That is all. Thanks.

If your brakes are still grinding (if you haven't installed the new pads & rotors yet) of course they're gonna lock up more easily.

Add your comment to this topic!