Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 rodeo slips in 1st then catches

jwill244
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
my neighbors rodeo has about 70k on it and the tranny just started shifting hard a few days ago. first i checked the fluid and it was full and looked new(she said she had the fluid changed at the quick lube place during her last oil change) so i did some googling and found some topics here on isuzu tranny problems. i took the range sensor off and cleaned it out and re-lubed it. installed it and took the car for a test drive.

now i probably should have test driven it before i cleaned the sensor but didn't, so oh well. i took it out and basically it semi-engages 1st, then around 1400rpm it slips and the engine revs to over 2k then the rpm's lower back to 1400, there's a shudder and 1st engages.

from what i've read if the range sensor was at fault then that would only happen in drive but it happens when it's manually shifted or left in drive. the shift lights in the cluster match the gear the shifter is in. so basically i did not break the range sensor and it IS operating properly, right?

then i found the http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq9 faq about re-greasing the slip yoke. could this be the problem? could 1st gear clutch packs just be toast? could quick lube have messed anything up and that be causing it(should i pull the pan and check basically)?

sorry if this post is one of the normal problems but i haven't found a post with the discription of the rpm's in it

Ramblin Fever
03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Was the tranny acting up before visiting the quick lube place?

If not, and if this was also her first transmission service, chances are that they flushed the transmission loosening up a bunch of gunk that is now lodged in places, i.e. torque convertor and is causing this problem.

These transmissions (4L30-E) require fluid changes at least every 30-35k, going more then that, and then doing a mechanical flush can cause problems.

Try dropping the pan and see what you find, while you're there, slowly change out and add more fluid over the course of a week or so, and see if it improves.

I do not recommend anyone to flush their transmission if they haven't had regular service intervals, I've heard this can send them to an early grave.

jwill244
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
If not, and if this was also her first transmission service, chances are that they flushed the transmission loosening up a bunch of gunk that is now lodged in places, i.e. torque converter and is causing this problem.

Try dropping the pan and see what you find, while you're there, slowly change out and add more fluid over the course of a week or so, and see if it improves.
so it's probably not the driveshaft yoke? and don't risk any tranny gunk flush liquids because of the tranny's inherent problems? how much should i drain/add at a time?

thanks again

amigo-2k
03-21-2006, 10:52 PM
How did you check the fluid level?

To me it sounds like the fluid is low.

jwill244
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
How did you check the fluid level?

To me it sounds like the fluid is low.

the only way i could see how to, the resivoir at the front of the engine on the drivers side.

Tom01Rodeo
03-22-2006, 06:53 AM
the only way i could see how to, the resivoir at the front of the engine on the drivers side.

Not sure what you actually checked, but it wasn't the tranny fluid. See this:

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq43

Ramblin Fever
03-22-2006, 07:14 AM
ok, I have the '97 version so bare with me, but the only 3 reserviors on my driver's side are brake fluid, power steering fluid and antifreeze reserve tank.

To check the transmission fluid, you have to access that from the actual transmission pan below the truck, there is no dipstick or reserve in the engine compartment.

These tranny's CAN be flushed without issue only IF the regular service intervals of 30k miles have been followed. I would NOT flush the transmission if regular service has not been followed.

FWIW - I've flushed mine 4 times without issue.

jwill244
03-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Not sure what you actually checked, but it wasn't the tranny fluid. See this:

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq43

thanks, i never would have guessed, the resivoir said "use only dextron II"(or III can't remember) and looked/smelled like atf

will check though, thanks

Tom01Rodeo
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
thanks, i never would have guessed, the resivoir said "use only dextron II"(or III can't remember) and looked/smelled like atf

will check though, thanks

You may be checking the power steering fluid. They will often use tranny fluid.

amigo-2k
03-22-2006, 08:34 AM
yup, that was the power steering and it does take tranny fluid.

jwill244
03-22-2006, 09:10 AM
yup, now that the sun's out i can see where the lines go to ps. and the rear fill bolt didn't leak out atf when i pulled it so i guess it's at least a little low, will throw some more in and see what happens

Tom01Rodeo
03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
will throw some more in and see what happens

Wish it were that easy :shakehead

rodeo02
03-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Wish it were that easy :shakehead

No doubt Tom. You'd have to turn the truck over on the roof to make it easy! I'd verify proper ATF level, if OK, look into the transmission range sensor.

Joel

jwill244
03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
almost a gallon low on fluid, but luckily it works like it should now.

now to hunt down the leaks and do some other maintenance

thanks ya'll

surferfletch
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
The quick lube place left it a gallon short??????

Now you know it's a simple DIY.

surferfletch
03-22-2006, 05:32 PM
The quick lube place left it a gallon short??????

Now you know it's a simple DIY.

Ramblin Fever
03-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Oh boy, man I'd be really ticked! These tranny's don't like that, I hope she goes back and says something. Good luck to her.

dagumol
03-25-2006, 10:53 AM
seeing it has a gm motor in it there just may be a small blockage in the tube that sucks up the fluid from the bottom of the pan. gm motors with between 70-120k miles generally need to have the fluid, filter and gasket changed out. all quick lube places do is suck out the old and pump in new for a rediculously high charge. find a small older mechanic who owns his own shop and try to get to know him personally. commercial mechanics are made to rip off the public with fine prints, policies and deceptiveness.

Lakeshow23
03-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I posted my problem with my tranny a couple weeks ago, and found that this thread describes the problem I was having better than I did. I *finally* put my Rodeo up on ramps, and noticed that there seemed like transmission fluid was on the rack. It wasn't the rack leaking though, it's definitely that tranny. I couldn't tell if it was leaking from the pan or not, but, yeah. Definitely gotta get that fluid changed out and refilled. Maybe my tranny is slipping in first and slamming into gear because of low fluid...?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the problem.

dagumol
03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
it is just good practice to check all fluids weekly

marcre
03-25-2006, 05:56 PM
...and noticed that there seemed like transmission fluid was on the rack. It wasn't the rack leaking though, it's definitely that tranny. I couldn't tell if it was leaking from the pan or not...

interesting, I've got fluid on my rack too, but my steering fluid is full. It's not a lot, but it's there. If mine is comming from the tranny, I want to get it fixed ASAP.

Where do you think it is leaking from? I am going to get under there and look closer.

marc

Lakeshow23
03-26-2006, 11:53 AM
interesting, I've got fluid on my rack too, but my steering fluid is full. It's not a lot, but it's there. If mine is comming from the tranny, I want to get it fixed ASAP.

Where do you think it is leaking from? I am going to get under there and look closer.

marc

I can't tell, because there are so many components in the way, and everything is extremely heavy. My guess though, based on the way my transmission slips then slams its way into first gear, and based on the way my tranny bucks from 0-20, and that it's worse when cold... I'm thinking it's the torque converter. :crying:

surferfletch
03-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm thinking it's the torque converter. :crying:

Tell me you have 250K on your tranny...

Lakeshow23
03-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Tell me you have 250K on your tranny...

Try 127k.

I just bought the car a month ago though, off eBay. Guy didn't mention these tranny issues... punk basstid. :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!