Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Big trouble in PA

ch1209
03-21-2006, 03:41 PM
So two days ago I was driving to get a new network cable when a cop pulled me over for doing 41 in a 25. I handed him my license and registration and he came back to tell me that my license was suspended.

Apparently, my license had been suspended due to the fact that I had failed to pay a no-point citation from almost a year ago. I honestly didn't know. This is not to say that I doubt they notified me at all, but I must have missed it somehow.

Anyway, the cop gave me two citations: one for driving under suspension and one for speeding, totalling $400 or so altogether. Additionally, I was told that upon paying off my citation from last summer, a the initial suspension will end and a new one will begin. I asked the officer how long that would be, and he said, "30 days, I think."

I also asked whether requesting a hearing would help me at all. The cop basically said it would be my word against his and they will listen to him. He also said that the suspension happens automatically, regardless of the results of a hearing.

So I came home and did some homework, reading the PA vehicle code and it said that my new suspension would actually be a whole year. I can't afford not to drive. I'm a student living off-campus, with two jobs. Has anyone here been this situation or a similar one, who can offer some advice? I would really appreciate the help right now.

DanF
03-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah well the cop just told you that because he sisn't want you to take him to court. Fight them both. From what I understand when they suspend your liscence they actually ask you to mail it in to them so I'm pretty sure you would know about it. Do you remember getting the previous citation? if so do you remember if you paid it? Was the original citation a moving violation? it shouldn't have been if it was a no points offense in that case I would actually check into them being able to take you liscence away for it... but if you failed to pay a citation usually they issue a warrant for your arrest and they send you a nice little notice in the mail telling you, you have 30 days to pay.

But yeah fight the speeding ticket too, if he timed you over the lines in the ground fight it all the way. I mean it will be your word against his but the margin for error over that is a couple miles an hour for about a 1/10 of a second depending on how far apart the lines were spaced and it is impossible to have a perfect reaction time. Just tell them you might have been doing 5 over but don't admit to the 16.

I would seriously look into the liscence suspension thing, that just seems a little odd to me personally. Ohh and second thing never ask the cop giving you a ticket for legal advice.... if you want more just call a public defender and ask them what you should do, they give out free information and everything and that would be the most productive way to get accurate information regaurding all this stuff.

Cliff notes: Fight both tickets, call a public defender, and never take your legal advice from the cop giving you a ticket.

imtheoneandonlyD
03-25-2006, 04:58 AM
When you get your license suspended you dont "mail it in" you dont do anything. You just DONT have a license. You get a letter in the mail saying that is suspended and for how long. When the suspension is up you can go renew it. Just because you have a card in your wallet doesnt mean you have your license.

Igovert500
03-26-2006, 03:06 PM
1) Go to court. You will meet with the procescutor (cop or assistant DA) before the trial and they will try to cut you a deal.

2) Even if you license is suspended, you can get a certain limited license, allowing you to go to work and school (ONLY!)

3) As mentioned above, in hte future, never ask the cop about court. If the cop brings up the subject and tells you to go to court (that is an EXCELLENT sign that they will lower/drop the charges) then listen to him, other than that, don't bring the topic up, and don't listen to him.

4) Always go to court. I've been pulled over more htan 15 times, many of my friends have similarly fast driving habits and have MANY MANY warnings/tickets, etc, and I've been on this board for awhile. 95% of EVERYBODY who goes to court at least gets their ticket reduced, if not completely dismissed. My advice is always go to court. As I said, I've been pulled over plenty of times, and still have only 1 $30 seatbelt ticket on my record.

**magnum**
04-25-2006, 08:58 PM
In Pa, prior to your license being suspended you gotta go to PennDot for a hearing. You just sit down and talk with a guy that is gonna decide if you are actually going to lose your license. Sometimes, but rarely, another form of punshment is given. Then you are givin a date by wich you must submit your actual physical license to PennDot. When your suspension is over you go pick it up.

Definately sucks, Been There
Good Luck

dmbrisket 51
04-30-2006, 11:59 PM
when suspended you in some states are required to mail in your licence cut up, just had to do it a few weeks ago, every ones advice sounds great, for fighting my tickets to the state when they went to suspend me i got a 30 day suspension and a 6 month restriction instead of a 365 day suspension on my licence

Add your comment to this topic!