Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

my dad broke something, help?

addictiveana
03-21-2006, 09:44 AM
you know, me being a teenaged girl i rely on my dad to fix things. (i have to give the story to help understand) he took my car out on a drive to get the oil changed while i was at work, i came home and asked him how the drive in my car was. its my 96 "egg"(its a manual btw), but anyways he was all like, " i drove it hard" and what he meant by that was constant stopping and shifting improperly at wrong intervals etc, so essentially messing up my car. :banghead: so... i go out to drive it to see what he did to my car, it seemed fine, a little hard to get into gear, but i figured that was just my car being ghetto as it sometimes does. then about 20 minutes later i'm getting ready to go when the light turns green aaaaaaaaaand it lurches screeches and many other bad noises, i couldnt get it into gear at all. So i proceeded to pull over/ push my car to the gas station/ and i couldnt figure out what was wrong. so now its in the driveway, i can start it but i cant get it to go into gear. what did my dad do to my car? and he refuses to go get it looked at because he doesnt think anything is wrong with it etc etc, that he can fix it blah blah blah. so....any ideas on what he fried/broke/messed up? :screwy:

getnhi
03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Sounds like the transmission is FUBARed, I would'nt blame your dad just yet, just driving it hard one time should not have done anything, unless he broke the shifter lingage, I would be suspicious of the recent oil change, by chance the transmission oil was drained by mistake. How much oil is in the motor?

addictiveana
03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
bleh, i just hope its something easily fixable, hope hope hope, if not i'm taking the bus for a while lol. and just to add, my dad drives a stick worse than a 90 year old woman lol, so thats why i said he broke it.

KimMG
03-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Does your dad ride the clutch? Does he use a lot of muscle when he normally shifts as opposed to just easily moving the lever? Does he grind the gears when he shifts? Are the RPMs too high or too low when he shifts? Can you change gears when the car is not running? Do you have a hydraulic clutch?

addictiveana
03-22-2006, 09:36 AM
answers lol, 1.) yes 2.)yes 3) tons of grinding 4.) dont know 5.) yes i can 6.)no idea, but i now know what is wrong lol, it was the Original clutch aaaaaand the bushings so good job to those who guessed that. how long does the clutch usually last? mine lasted for about 135,000 miles......so.....yeah... but now like, my dad messed up my mom's car and blew the engine. he was driving home and it just went BOOM and RRRRGH and other noises. so like.... since he didnt get the oil changed on time the car went boom, and now chrysler wont pay because they say it was our fault that the car blew up even though we are under extended warranty... so once my car is fixed it becomes my mom's car and i'm riding the friggen bus ANYWAYS! *sigh* i'm scared to have my stepdad drive my car at this point ya know:nono: :banghead:

KimMG
03-22-2006, 11:17 PM
You're lucky it was just the clutch and not the transmission. One of my cars has 140,000 miles on the clutch (original), 110,000 miles on the second clutch in my truck and still going (original owner got only got 60,000 out of the original clutch). My friend had 160,000 miles on her original clutch when her car was totaled. Clutches, transmissions, and motors will last a long time if you don't drive like a hostile idiot. Riding the clutch causes excessive heat and prematurely burns up the clutch.

Add your comment to this topic!